Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off, yesterday was my first day with GNU/linux. I never touched the insides of it before this, so my knowledge is minimal. So when installing Arch Linux, everything goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Arch, but can't connect to network eth0 or eth1

First off, yesterday was my first day with GNU/linux. I never touched the insides of it before this, so my knowledge is minimal.

So when installing Arch Linux, everything goes fine until I try and ping a server to see if my network works. The ping doesn't work, When I use the ip addr command it shows that I have the localhost, eth0 and eth1. Both eth0 and eth1 say they are down.

After a lot of frustration and trying to research the problem. I caved in and went with a more straight forward install with mint.

In mint, I checked to see what the network says

Wired Network (Intel 82579V Gigabit)
    Auto eth2

Wired Network (Realtek RTL8111/81685 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller)
    (disconnected)
    what got my curiosity is that mint was able to connect to my network, but not on eth0 or eth1, but eth2 which wasn't in the ip addr listing.

So I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with solving this? I followed their beginner wiki multiple times and still no luck.

(I would have posted this on their forum but I didn't know the security question [date -u +%W$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?(Required)] hahah)

Thanks a lot!

edit, after some looking. Mint uses "network manager" would this help arch finding my network a little better?

Hi, clandest. Welcome to LinuxForums!

I don't use Arch, but take a look here for now.
    Meanwhile, hang in there. We have several Arch users who may chime in with more detailed information for you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What kernel version is Arch running? It may be that it doesn't support your NICs, although most Intel chip sets have been well supported for a long time. If the chip set is very new, and the kernel is old, then that may be the problem. Mint is Ubuntu/Debian based and very up-to-date kernel/driver-wise. What is the output of the command "ifconfig -a", for both operating systems?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    what is the output of ifconfig command?