Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all !! I have a dual boot Windows 7 64bit Professional and Ubuntu Linux 11.04. Windows 7 is having problems starting up (even in safe mode). So I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrade install of Win7 in a dual boot win7 and ubuntu linux system

Hi all !!

I have a dual boot Windows 7 64bit Professional and Ubuntu Linux 11.04.

Windows 7 is having problems starting up (even in safe mode). So I am considering doing an "inplace upgrade install" (I think this was called repair install on XP) so that I install Windows 7 over the existing Windows 7, and still retain my files, programs, etc.

But I am not sure how this is going to affect the linux installation and the bootloader, etc. If I do an inplace upgrade, is there a simple way to have access to both linux and windows 7 (like before). I wont lose access to linux after upgrade installing windows 7, would I?

Thank you !!

Just Joined!
    I don't think it would affect Ubuntu at all. I did the samething you are doing but with Ubuntu instead and it did not mess up windows 7 at all.

Linux Guru
    If you are using the windows bootloader to boot both windows 7 and Ubuntu, you should have no problems. If you are using the Ubuntu Grub bootloader to boot both, windows will probably overwrite the Grub code in the mbr and you will then need to reconfigure either the windows bootloader to boot Ubuntu or reinstall Grub. That's the standard with an installation of windows. I would do some searching on exactly what an "inplace upgrade install" does if you are unsure.