Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can I Install .ISO without Burning to a CD?

I'm trying to install Zorin 5 Ultimate OS on my laptop which currently has Ubuntu. The files size is 4.1GB and the biggest disk I have is a 4GB usb drive... Is there a way I can install the OS without burning the .iso file to a disk or is there a way i can burn it on multiple drives? For example, I could use a 4GB usb drive and a 0.6GB CD-R. I don't want to spend another $5-10 on a CD when if I can install without one.

Quote Originally Posted by FLUDD View Post
    I'm trying to install Zorin 5 Ultimate OS on my laptop which currently has Ubuntu. The files size is 4.1GB and the biggest disk I have is a 4GB usb drive... Is there a way I can install the OS without burning the .iso file to a disk or is there a way i can burn it on multiple drives? For example, I could use a 4GB usb drive and a 0.6GB CD-R. I don't want to spend another $5-10 on a CD when if I can install without one.
    Hello Flud,

Welcome to LF .

If you can get your hand on an 8G USB stick, you might want to give this a try.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Good luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Hello Flud,

Welcome to LF .

If you can get your hand on an 8G USB stick, you might want to give this a try.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Good luck!
    I've already looked at that. I'm trying to do this without buying anything.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUDD View Post
    I don't want to spend another $5-10 on a CD when if I can install without one.
    I am not sure if I understand this statement. The meaning seems to be that a blank disc costs $5-10. That sounds a little expensive.
    Or do I mis-understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    I am not sure if I understand this statement. The meaning seems to be that a blank disc costs $5-10. That sounds a little expensive.
    Or do I mis-understand?
    A 8GB USB drive costs $5-10.
    And it will cost the same for a blank disc.

If there was a way to not have to buy these, then I would use it. Why would I throw $5 away when I could use it for something else?

Could someone please answer my question?

No, you cannot split one ISO over a usb stick and a cd and install zorin from that.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Does anyone know if I can install the OS without burning any disks?

Hi, only option which comes to my mind is installing the Zorin 5 Ultimate OS into a virtual machine and then clone the virtual disk into your physical. I haven't try that, just found some guides on the Internet:

http :// www .sweetnam.eu/index.php/Convert_a_Virtual_Machine_to_Physical
    http :// askubuntu.com/questions/32499/migrate-from-a-virtual-machine-vm-to-a-physical-system

Anyway, you would need some extra disk or at least a partition where you can put your virtual disk.

By the way, is a blank DVD really so expensive? In CZ you can buy it for less than 1$.

The next approach I can think of is that you copy an existing Zoring installation in your HD but I think that might bemore of a challenge. You can try:

# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

his converting vm idea is similar if not same as ubuntus tutorial to install from hdd. which iv tried with ubuntu and works with a small tweek....

After booting into Ubuntu/Linux setup open a console and delete the /cdrom mount entry in /etc/mtab To trick ubuntu so it doenst no /cdrom is mounted on HDD being used for install and will allow you to procceed. My basic notes for the hole proccess bellow.

https :// help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

(STEP 1)

$ mkdir /tmp/install_cd
    $ mkdir /tmp/installer

$ sudo mount disk-image.iso -o loop /tmp/install_cd
    $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/installer

$ sudo rsync -a /tmp/install_cd/ /tmp/installer

$ sudo umount /tmp/install_cd
    $ sudo umount /tmp/installer

(STEP 2)
    Edit the GruB /menu.lst an add the following entry
    $ nano /mnt/root/boot/grub/menu.lst

title installer
    root (hd0,X) [X=whatever# partition u used]
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=1048576 rw
    initrd /casper/initrd.lz

(STEP 3)
    Reboot and select Linux Installer from Grub boot menu

(STEP 4)
    After booting into Ubuntu/Linux setup
    Open a console and delete the /cdrom mount entry in /etc/mtab
    To trick ubuntu so it doenst no /cdrom is mounted on HDD being used for install
    And will allow you to procceed

$ sudo nano /tec/mtab
    Erase the line containing /dev/sd? mount point for /cdrom
    $(hit) ctrl + o [to save changes]
    $(hit) ctrl + x [to exit]

EDIT: o yeah just incase dont already know, that was using Grub Legacy as the Chainloader