Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I want to develope my own simple bootloader which do nothing but calling my linux kernel. I want to do this like LILO whithout file system, but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

developing simple bootloader which calls linux kernel

Hi all,
    I want to develope my own simple bootloader which do nothing but calling my linux kernel. I want to do this like LILO whithout file system, but I don't know how does LILO find kernel's physical address. I know LILO stores kernel information in /boot/map file, but map is binary and I don't know it's format and how to decode it. Help please.. Is there any detailed manual?

sorry for my poor english.
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    I have only one operating system, and I also have initial ram disk (initrd). I don't know how LILO passes the initrd address to the kernel.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you had a look at the lilo source code?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes, but it's complex and has many headers and source file.. LILO has many options which I don't need
    I don't need any menu, I only want to jump to kernel from MBR (I want to develope my own simple linux loader). But I don't know where is the CHS (Cylinder/Head/Sector) address of kernel.

Just Joined!
    Hi, try to look at syslinux. It would be even more lightweight than LILO. Otherwise I cannot help as I don't have any experience with developing bootloaders.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Balda View Post
    Hi, try to look at syslinux. It would be even more lightweight than LILO. Otherwise I cannot help as I don't have any experience with developing bootloaders.
    Thank you, I'll try syslinux