Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
OK i have an older PC. It is a single core 1.25 GHz processor, I think it has 1 gig of RAM and a 60 gig hard drive. I first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Linux on an older PC.

OK i have an older PC. It is a single core 1.25 GHz processor, I think it has 1 gig of RAM and a 60 gig hard drive. I first tried to load Fedora 16 on it. I first burnt the ISO to a DVD and it started to load the first loading screen and then would stop almost at the end. I restarted the PC and it got stuck at the same spot. I burnt the DVD a few days before so I thought it may have been scratched or something. I went back and burnt the ISO to a CD and the exact same thing happened. After awhile I gave up on Fedora and thought I would give MINT a try. I have never worked with MINT or even seen it in action. I first download the CD edition and it would look like its starting to load it showed a network configuration screen. after that the screen went black and all I could see was the mouse. I tried a few times, checked all my connections and still did not work. I then downloaded the DVD edition and tried that and the exact same thing happened.

Has anyone else had issues like this? any thoughts on what I can do to get a linux distro loaded?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Is this when booting the live environment or when installing?

If the former, try booting the live c|dvd and pressing esc then tab to edit the menu. Remove the word quiet from the command and follow the instructions to boot. It may give a better error message.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    additionally, you could try adding nomodeset in the same place; make sure it is before the -- at the end of the line.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Newbie
    You could also try accessing another terminal and see if you can login that way. It might be a x-server issue.

ctrl + alt + f3

I will give this stuff a try over the weekend and come back with updates.

Thanks guys.

WEll I found out the problem. I ran the fedora install and removed quite and it was showing that my RAM is bad. I guess thats why se stopped using that computer in the first place. I guess I have to build a new pc now.

Or, you could try slapping some new RAM sticks in there.
    If you do a new build, you would need RAM, anyway... so there's nothing to lose.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Its a really old Compaq that has a case will be hard to change any of the parts inside. The RAM and motherboard are so old I cant upgrade. I thought it had a gig of ram but it only has 128 mb or ram. Hey it does have Windows ME on it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    Hey it does have Windows ME on it. lol
    Could be worse... It could be Vista!

Seriously, though... there are still a few options. Puppy or antiX look good.
    And if you don't mind the idea of a Slackware-based OS, there is Vector.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Seriously, though... there are still a few options. Puppy or antiX look good.
    I was going to stay out of this thread. But. They keep pulling me back in.

Anyways. Here is a video on a IBM t23 I made with AntiX. The computer specs are 1.2 ghz and I bumped the ram to 1 gig from 256MB. Used 2 512 MB sticks.

Screenr - roktnji: AntiX redux

I have since bumped the kernel up to 3.3.1 also since the video was made. I show in the video how I can get to Windows files if I want to also on the hardrive.

I ran the fedora install and removed quite and it was showing that my RAM is bad
    Was that a memtest run from grub menu?

Code:
    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel memtest86+
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin
    I would at least bump the ram to 512MB if possible with 2 256mB ram sticks. Cheap enough. My IBM A22m with a floppy drive, dvdrom, 1ghz processor,512MB of ram (that I bumped up from 128MB of ram), runs AntiX quite well in fact. Processor is not powerful enough and ram specs too low to make a screenr video with it though, so I could show you.

I know how to make a .avi with ffmpeg via command line, (less cpu and ram intensive than browser and java) though . Trouble is. The file ends up being so durn big for a 5 minute video. It is not worth the effort.
    Sidekick likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast