Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone.. I have a BT 5 Live Cd and when I open "Install BackTrack" I end up in step 4 of 8 which is "prepare partitions" but my hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Installing (Back Track 5 live cd) Not detecting my hard disk.

Hello Everyone..
    I have a BT 5 Live Cd and when I open "Install BackTrack" I end up in step 4 of 8 which is "prepare partitions" but my hard drive is not detected ,It doesn't show any partitions or devices or anything...just blank and when I click "Forward" it gives:"No root file system is defined..please correct this from the partitioning menu"

I have one hard disk(Western Digital Green) which has win 7 installed on it. It has three partitions and is working fine under windows.

My kernel ver is 2.6.38 -i686
    this is a screen shot of what I get :
    i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/pygame/partitionfail.jpg

Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

In a terminal, type
    fdisk -l
    If your drive is there, then I guess it's a problem with the backtrack installer.
    If you don't see your drive listed, try
    lsmod
    and see if the correct kernel module has been loaded. On my machine, I need ahci. If you don't see ahci listed in the output, try
    modprobe ahci
    Then
    fdisk -l
    And see if your drive is there. If your drive is present, you may want to restart the installer, and see if you can install. Note, I have not used backtrack nor installed it, so I don't know how applicable these instructions will be in your case.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The drive may be getting automounted by backtrack. Unmount it before running the installer.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent