Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I'm trying to install SuSE 8.2 Pro. Though on an old Pentium machine, it meets all the hardware requirements. When I unpack the kernel I get this message: Bad ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

EIP error message during installation--FIXED--

Hello, I'm trying to install SuSE 8.2 Pro. Though on an old Pentium machine, it meets all the hardware requirements. When I unpack the kernel I get this message: Bad EIP value.
    <0> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
    Of course more info available if needed.
    I also had the same problem with Mandrake. SuSE (helpfully) suggested that it's a problem with the new kernel, however when I tried a boot disk from Slackware or Debian with the same kernel, it loaded. As I'm new to Linux any help would be appreciated.

P.S. A old borrowed copy of Red Hat 7.1 installed perfectly, however I want to install SuSe.

Regards
    Ulysses_93674

Linux Guru
    An error like that sounds like a hardware fault to me, if it isn't a corrupted CD. Find a program to calculate the MD5 sum on the CD and compare it to the value on SuSE's site. If the CD isn't corrupted, try download memtest86 and use it to test your memory.

Just Joined!

For Dolda2000

Tested the memory with memtest86-no problem, also tried different
    memory just in case. The disk's fine. Since the bare Slackware boot disk loads without a hitch, and SuSE/Mandrake are known for being "easy" to use, have they added something that's supposed to be useful? (but isn't)

Just Joined!

For Dolda2000 and anyone else.

Right, just downloaded older SuSe boot disks to see if any worked.
    7.1 YES
    8.1 YES
    8.2 (current) NO!

So the problem is definitely with the new 8.2 edition. And yes I've tried other 2.4.20 Kernel bootdisks-NP

Linux Guru
    I don't think so. That Bad EIP value comes from an additional encountered bug in the kernel routine's for handling bugs. And not only that, but it also indicates that the error actually in the kernel and not in userspace. This can only mean three things:
    1. You've discovered a new bug in the kernel (and, sorry man, but that's just not going to happen).
    2. You have a hardware fault.
    3. The SuSE guys manages to compile a kernel which was somehow incompatible with your hardware.

While option two is the most probable in most cases, your case actually seems to be in option three, since memtest86 OK'd the memory and everything.
    Did you purchase this version of SuSE? In that case, contact them and ask them to send you a boot floppy with another kernel on it.

Just Joined!

For Dolda2000

Thanks. I'm going to call SuSE (again) tomorrow, I'll update on how it goes. Whilst I agree that the core (i.e. not SuSE's) kernel is fine, I do have an uncanny ability for finding faulty products and glitches-not sure if this is good or bad luck?

Linux Guru
    It's the same with me and Windows systems. As soon as I even touch a Windows system that works perfectly (or at least as perfect as Windows can work, which doesn't say much...) for anyone else, it will BSOD itself within a matter of seconds. Actually, often I don't even need to touch it, I just need to be in proximity of it.

Just Joined!

For Dolda2000

Well spent the morning on the phone (ohhh what fun-when will tech. support actually cover technical issues?), basically Red Hat 9.0 won't boot either. As I see it because Slackware is more of a enthusiast orientated distro. it's bare.i kernel is much simpler than the "mainstream distro's." (current-they must have done something between 8.1 and 8.2) equiv., therefore it works. Anyway they're looking at my info dump files, see what they say.

As far as Windows goes, what gets me about it me about it is the way they expect you to do only what they want and nothing more. I like tinkering with things-if it was up to me I'd use Slackware or Debian (more interesting, even if I don't know what I'm doing), but since it's a spare household computer anything near complex and I'll never get any sleep. Oh and how on earth I know that SuSE stands for: Software und System
    Entwicklung, plus I've been staring at the box all day yet have been spelling it SuSe instead of SuSE I'll never know.

P.S. Slackware uses SYSLINUX 2.01 + current kernel whilst Red Hat and SuSE use 1.62 + current/older-not sure if this matters?

Linux Guru
    Nah, I don't think so. If it were SYSLINUX's fault, your kernel probably wouldn't get loaded at all.

Anyway, I think I know one thing that you could try. Try creating a boot floppy from your SuSE 8.2 CDs, and then one from the SuSE 8.1 CDs. Then try to copy the 8.1 boot floppy' kernel to the 8.2 boot floppy, and see if that works any better. It just might be worth a shot.

Just Joined!

Fixed!!

Well I've fixed it, never underestimate grim determination and black coffee. I decided to do the old steadfast of taking it all apart and disabling everything I could and then keep rebooting to seeing if it loaded. I found that the problem was with the IDE sockets settings in the BIOS, if one is on-it's fine, if both-kernel panic. Now to be honest I don't know if it's a Hardware problem or a kernel one but here are the facts:

All the larger versions, i.e standard distro. bootdisks, of the newer kernel
    won't load if both are on, but will if one's off.

Cut down versions, i.e. Slackware's bare.i-IDE only, of the new kernel load without a hitch, regardless of the setting.

The problem is not distro. specific.

All the older kernel's I've tested, cut down or bloated , Linux or Windows OP Sys. load whatever the settings.

Regards
    Ulysses_93674

P.S. I prefer Slack or Debian, from a hobbyist perspective, but considering that it's not as restricted as Red Hat, SuSE is quite good-glad I chose it for my main distro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast