Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
after playing around with debian for a couple days i now want to install it beside my current mint installation. i have no idea how to do this. i want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual booting linux mint and debian

after playing around with debian for a couple days i now want to install it beside my current mint installation. i have no idea how to do this. i want it set up so that when i boot my pc up im meet with "mint or debian?". my current partitons in mint are:

/boot -500mb
    swap 2gb
    / -20gb
    /home -rest of drive

so how would i go about doing this? im relativity new to linux, so you may have to try to 'dumb it down' for me. i have a debian live disk on hand.

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

The first thing you want to do is free up some space on your hdd. I'm assuming that all the space is allocated. You'll most likely be able to free up space from Mint's /home directory. I'm not sure if such a tool is included on the Debian Live CD or not, but if the CD includes Gparted or Qtparted, then use that program to shrink the size of the /home (or whatever is appropriate).
    Now that you have freed up some space, you should be able to proceed with the install. When you come the screen where it prompts you to select which disk, and how you want to install, be sure to NOT TO PICK "install over current linux installion" OR "install on whole disk" or whatever they are. Choose a 3rd option, something like "let me decide," you get the idea.
    Anyway, you want to manually configure your partition layout... So, create the partitions in the order you described above, using the free space. The installer may ask something like "is this a primary or extended partition" go ahead and pick extended. Also, you shouldn't need to create more swap space, swap space is sharable between the multiple linux distros.

For how you want to install Grub, that's up to you. If you google 'triple boot linux' you should get some step by steps, obviously ignore the windows parts if they don't apply.

Just Joined!
    its really the grub thing im trying to figure out. most ones out there involve ubuntu and wubi and im having a hard time figuring out what to do. ok, so same swap space.. can they use the same /home part? it would make things so much easyer

This is what I usually do. Instead of sharing the home partition, I make a separate Storage Bin to be shared by both OS that I dual boot. So it's going to be a third partition. Say my HD is 250G, I alot 30G each for both OS, 3G for the Swap and the rest is for the Sorage Bin. I find Gparted to be very easy to use since it's GUI is so user friendly. You might want to prepare your HD using the same. So you can decide before installation on how much to alot per partition. You may mount the second installation at "/". No need to make another Swap since it will automagically detect your previous Swap partition.

Please let us know how it turns out, good luck.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    so do i just install debian in my / partition? i dont get it.

Just Joined!
    Don't install your debian / partition with your mint / partition. Make a separate partition for debian /. However you can (and its usually a good idea) use the same partition for /home on both debian and mint. As already said, no need to create separate swap partition as well, both distros will pick it up.

Just Joined!
    Ok, i think ive figured it out. Theres a command to access the bootloader where you can add an entry. Im freeing space on my hdd right now

Just Joined!
    I didnt have to! Debain install did it for me. Thanks for all your help!

Just Joined!
    It hasnt picked up my swap or home partitons... No prob, i have 8gb or ram and have never gone a megabyte over 4. Also i can just mount my mint home volume to the desktop, so work around everything looks good, debian asks me if i want to boot into mint before it starts to boot.

Just Joined!
    Problem! Mint wont boot. Grub says
    'failure. You need to load kernal frist'

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast