Find the answer to your Linux question:
The issue i am having is that my computer hangs when i try to boot into Gentoo. This is the last line output; Code: vesafb: scrolling: redraw There is no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hang on reboot, Possible Grub problem?

The issue i am having is that my computer hangs when i try to boot into Gentoo. This is the last line output;
    Code:
    vesafb: scrolling: redraw
    There is no error mesage at all. I am doing my first install and I am following the manual as close as i can.
    Here is my hardware list,
    • 2 40 gig Hardrives
      DVDrom
      CDRW
      AMD Athlon Xp 2200+
      Soyo k7vme Mainboard - I am using onboard video, sound, and network right now

My grub.conf looks like this (as close as I can remember)
    Code:
    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.9-gentoo-r9
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda3
    I know that with the live cd, to get it to boot, i need to use
    Code:
    gentoo -noapic
    As you can see i am using the gentoo-dev-source, and it is the 2004.3 release. I have gone through several times mounting and chrooting to try and fix it (origianally i was running lilo), and i even switched from genkernel to making my own.
    Any tips or advice that could help me figure this one out would be greatly appreciated.

Ice Roque,
    can I just confirm that the last message that you get is during boot up? ie. you get the grub menu and or boot prompt and then after selecting or waiting 30 seconds you get a partial boot.

Or do you get these message pre-grub?

Also, looking at your root and kernel lines. The root line of your gub.conf says that (hd0,0) is where to start, this can also be called /dev/hda1 as there are two different counting systems going on (the root line starts at zero, the devices in /dev/ start at 1). Which suggests that you may want to have the following added to /boot/grub/grub.conf :-

title=Nerderellos suggestion
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hda1

Then, when you reboot, you will, hopefully, be given two possible boot options, and if you take option 2 (or change the default in your grub.conf to 1) then it may work.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!

Same problem.

Im actually having the same exact problem. With my problem, grub boots up normal, you choose gentoo, and then it starts scrolling text like a normal linux startup on any distro. Well after a long line of text (you know where it says, mounting filesystems... etc. ) it comes to the message, " VesaFB : Scrolling Redraw," and thats where it sits, i waited for like a half hour, and mine did nothing. Pleese note this is a fresh install, the newest version with the 2.6.9 kernel, build three, with an athlon xp, following all the steps accordingly. I did use genkernel, with a networkless install. I picked kde as gui, with x window manager. Note that this is right after you get done with the actual install portion using the Live cd, and right before you go to install kde, and all other tools. Thanks for the help up front. -Nolan

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, in my opinion, doing a stage 3 install defeats the main purpose of using gentoo, unless you later run something like "emerge -e world" or something like that. Even then, you're really shortchanging yourself. Unless you have no internet/dial-up... Even then, if you know someone else who uses a stage 1 or a stage 2 gentoo install, get the files from their /usr/portage/distfiles.

Now for your current issue: Don't use genkernel, and select the drivers for your system. I've heard of nothing but problems from using genkernel, and it's likely that improper drivers may have been set up.

Also: KDE is a desktop environment, complete with it's own window manager. X is the backbone of Linux GUI, without it, you can't really have any GUI, whether you use KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, XFCE, etc. Just wanted to set you straight on the terminology.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050