Find the answer to your Linux question:
Members - I am a first time Linux user (errr trying to be ). I downloaded the 5 CD set of Suse Linux 8.2 Professional (what a challenge that was). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    edo
    Just Joined!

Big Time Linux Newbie with problems burning boot CD(s)

Members - I am a first time Linux user (errr trying to be ). I downloaded the 5 CD set of Suse Linux 8.2 Professional (what a challenge that was). They are in ISO format. I opened them with WinISO and looked at the contents with no error msgs or problems. I tried burning CD1 with Roxio EZCDC, selected bootable CD, chose no emulation for lack of anything else, and then tried to burn it. It keeps stopping after 10% complete with some error msg about the CD is bad or the CD image is bad. I tried burning once again with Nero and the same thing happened. I even changed CDs twice and still get the same msg. I suspect that I'm not using the right options to burn CD1. I noticed that CD2 has a boot directory also. Basically, I have 5 CD images of Suse Linux Pro 8.2 ready to install into a dual boot machine with WinXP and I can't even burn them to CDs !! HELP!!!

Linux User
    Tried download it again? I wonder if you needed to select bootable CD at the first place, just burn it the normal way, as simple as that.!
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

edo
    Just Joined!
    hey man thnxs for the reply - but I hoped I didn't have to go that way. It took me quite a looonnnngggg time to download the set. Not even sure if the link is still good .... I'll be patient for now and wait for more replies to my cry for help. But if I must d/l it again then I'll do what I have to

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    what i think is that you dun have to select the bootable CD option at the first place when u burning cds from images. try deselect bootable cd option first.

if you still can't burn it, try to select a slower pace for buring, eg, from 32x down to 16x or even slower.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux User
    what you can do to check that the ISO files are not corrupt, is to make an md5 sum out of the ISO files, ane compare them to the md5sums posted on the ftp where you got the ISO's from (it normaly is)

Good luck!

edo
    Just Joined!
    thanxs for the time and insite .... unfortunately the site I d/l'd them did not contain a md5sum file....but I can use utilities that will verify it. I will do a md5sum first. If they check out, I'll try burning at a slower rate.

Linux Guru
    If you don't have a precomputed sum, then what will you check them out agains?