Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thank you. SO linux writes WIKIs where Microsoft would just develop a wizard? Do I need to install wicd separately? How can I run a Kingston USB memory to keep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thank you. SO linux writes WIKIs where Microsoft would just develop a wizard?
    Do I need to install wicd separately?
    How can I run a Kingston USB memory to keep myself from burning CDs every time I need to add some software?
    Is there a normal GUI file explorer that will show me all the disks I have on the computer and all the files on them?

Wiki doesn't answer my questions again.
    -----------------
    I found a bug: left-handed mouse switched to right-handed mouse than back yields an error that makes OS hard to use
    Last edited by GregRowling2; 06-07-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Linux Guru
    Is there a normal GUI file explorer that will show me all the disks I have on the computer and all the files on them?
    Lot's of them. for 65MB of ram. I might suggest spacefm or xfe (xfe-locale.tcz.zsync 2011-Jun-06 21:25:19 1.4K application/octet-stream) or rox (rox-filer.tcz 2010-Sep-16 06:58:41 840K application/octet-stream).

You will have to open them, (the file managerA) as root with sudo command though because Linux does not like to open drives without root permission out of the box unless you do some hand editing to like /etc/fstab. It is a Linux security feature. That is why Linux is more secure than Windows. Your internal drives/partitions will be in /mnt. Media like usb external drives will be in /media.

You never mentioned what version of Tiny core you installed. Here is a list of packages available for Tiny core from tiny cores web page. You can download any Tiny core .tcz package from either in your install with Tiny cores package manager , or from the link I provided. Put it on usb.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/

I don't run Tiny Core so you'll have to use google to search for question about mouse and everything else releated to running Tiny Core.
    That is the best I can do for you.

Happy Trails, Rok

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by GregRowling2 View Post
    Thank you. SO linux writes WIKIs where Microsoft would just develop a wizard?
    say rather that either MS will provide a wizard, or you wont be able to do it w/o hacking the registry, whereas in Linux, you may not always get a point-and-click interface (especially w/niche OSs like Tiny Core), but you will be able to do it, if you don't mind doing some reading and trial-and-error.
    Do I need to install wicd separately?
    it seems so. this should not be surprising if using a distro that is intended by design to have a very small footprint.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So what do I need out of this collection to run a SanDik memory and a Linksys USB adapter?
    distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/
    What is .tcz ?

I have a wireless dongle driver, but it is for Windows. When I installed Tiny, I checked the check box that I want Wifi.

Where is the normal file explorer and how do I get to root? I never set a root password.
    Otherwise, how would I install things and see my USB memory?

So I need to download a user-friendly file explorer somewhere?

Thank you.

Linux Guru
    What is .tcz ?
    How do I add/load/install extensions?

Tiny Core Linux Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

For best results use the desktop application Appbrowser, it is available from the icon launch bar or the system menu.
    Using Appbrowser will fetch the requested extension and all of its required dependencies. See: Downloads Howto
    Download Howto Tiny Core Linux

Just Joined!
    Doesn't this require an internet connection? I don't have it.

Trusted Penguin
    Doesn't this require an internet connection? I don't have it.
    ah, good point. you don't have a wired Ethernet connection on this PC, then?

Just Joined!
    I don't have ethernet.

Trusted Penguin
    I don't have ethernet.
    well, that does make it hard to install packages from the online repo!

so you'll have to d/load the packages and burn them to USB/CD and install them from that media. i've never used TC but I have to believe that there is a way for the package manager to point to a specific dir containing the s/w. look around in the wikis for something like that and see if you can figure it out.

I see a list of the packages on their d/l site here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/

Just Joined!
    Again.
    I have no internet and to make a SanDisk card work, I need a... driver. And I don't have that driver and I don't know what driver I need and even how to install it because there is no normal file explorer on this system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast