Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] no free space after resizing

I had a Windows, Debian and Ubuntu partition on my laptop hardrive (in that order in gparted). I'm doing work on the Debian one and needed more space as it was quite small so I tried to expand it. There was no space but I had two swap partitions and decided to delete the one between Debian and Ubuntu.

I also tried shrinking and moving Ubuntu further to the right, which I know is risky. In the end I decided to delete Ubuntu as I have the files elsewhere and work out of Debian only now.

There were errors when I did this and, upon rebooting, grub couldn't find anything at all, so I had to reinstall that by chrooting into debian from liveUSB. I eventually got that to work and now what is wrong is that the Debian partition looks huge in the gparted editor but when I boot into it, there is no extra space at all.

I think the problem is that when I ran gparted, I deleted ubuntu and then expanded the Debian partition without reformatting the space into ext3. Now gparted sees a huge Debian partition and I can't shrink it because gparted thinks that there is only 1 gig of free space while there should be like 100 Gb.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Ok, I just had to "check" the partition in gparted and it figured itself out and sees how much free space I have...
    Last edited by MrButtons; 06-11-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: SOLVED

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't suppose you ever removed that swap device from the various systems' /etc/fstab, and do a swapoff when such systems were running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!