Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had a Windows, Debian and Ubuntu partition on my laptop hardrive (in that order in gparted). I'm doing work on the Debian one and needed more space as it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] no free space after resizing

I had a Windows, Debian and Ubuntu partition on my laptop hardrive (in that order in gparted). I'm doing work on the Debian one and needed more space as it was quite small so I tried to expand it. There was no space but I had two swap partitions and decided to delete the one between Debian and Ubuntu.

I also tried shrinking and moving Ubuntu further to the right, which I know is risky. In the end I decided to delete Ubuntu as I have the files elsewhere and work out of Debian only now.

There were errors when I did this and, upon rebooting, grub couldn't find anything at all, so I had to reinstall that by chrooting into debian from liveUSB. I eventually got that to work and now what is wrong is that the Debian partition looks huge in the gparted editor but when I boot into it, there is no extra space at all.

I think the problem is that when I ran gparted, I deleted ubuntu and then expanded the Debian partition without reformatting the space into ext3. Now gparted sees a huge Debian partition and I can't shrink it because gparted thinks that there is only 1 gig of free space while there should be like 100 Gb.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Ok, I just had to "check" the partition in gparted and it figured itself out and sees how much free space I have...
    Last edited by MrButtons; 06-11-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: SOLVED

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't suppose you ever removed that swap device from the various systems' /etc/fstab, and do a swapoff when such systems were running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!