Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used to have Fedora 16 and wanted to upgrade to 17 by downloading the ISO and placing it in a disk. The computer failed to read it, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Computer won't read ISO at boot

I used to have Fedora 16 and wanted to upgrade to 17 by downloading the ISO and placing it in a disk. The computer failed to read it, so I switched to try ArchLinux, which also did not work. I have tried putting the ISO on a USB, CD, DVD-R, and DVD-RW on both 32/64-bit ISO's and booting from it by changing the BIOS boot order to DVDRAM->USB Generic->HARDDRIVE...

Nothing works.
    The following error comes up when the DVD is in and I try booting (including harddrive in boot order completely skips the DVD, so I removed it to only boot from the DVD):
    Code:
    Reboot and Select proper Boot device; or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.
    And the following appears when both the USB and disc contained the ISO needed:
    Code:
    Remove disks or other media.; Press any key to restart
    I even tried unpacking the ISO following every way listed above... My older discs containing Ubuntu and BT5 work, but FC17 and ArchLinux don't work; what gives?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks.

(I did indeed burn the ISO to the disc every time)
    Last edited by xsrika; 06-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    you say you burned the ISO to disc every time - but did you burn it as an image file in your CD burning application? in other words, if you don't specifically tell the software that you are attempting to create a CD/DVD from an ISO/image file, and instead you just drag-and-drop the ISO file to the CD burning window, then you'll create a non-bootable data CD.

You can tell by inserting the burned CD into a booted up machine (Linux, Windows, whatever), mounting it and seeing what is in it. If you just see the ISO file, then you created it the wrong way.

checksum

In addition to the response from atreyu, I would consider downloading the file again, it may be corrupt so get its checksum file as well and run the downloaded file through a utility such as sha256sum on linux when the download is complete to verify the integrity of the file. I would also try downloading the file from another source

Also there is some great ISO burning tutorials on the net. just google "burn iso".

Hope it's nothing more serious, like a hardware issue.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close