Find the answer to your Linux question:
First time I've tried installing Linux (openSuSe, to be exact). Wanted a dual-boot system, so I went along with the partitioning scheme suggested (shrink Windows partition to 300Gb from 500, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with partitioning during install.

First time I've tried installing Linux (openSuSe, to be exact). Wanted a dual-boot system, so I went along with the partitioning scheme suggested (shrink Windows partition to 300Gb from 500, use the rest for Linux and swap). However, as soon as it actually started installing Linux, it gave me an error message about not being able to create dev/sda5, so I aborted the install.
    So, now I have: a resized Windows partition (300Gb), a 2Gb partition, a 13Gb partition (which is something created by Acer, so I can't do anything with it, it was there the whole time) and 150Gb chunk of unpartitioned space.
    Tried running the installer again, it said it couldn't recommend any partition scheme, and when going into its advanced settings, the 300Gb partition was marked as "Linux"-type (or something of that sort, don't remember exactly), so I was a bit wary of continuing with the installation.
    Question is, what do I do?
    Delete that 2 Gb partition and partition the unpartitioned space? (And install there?)

Trusted Penguin
    doe you know what the 2GB partition is? is it swap that you created during the aborted install?

if you boot w/the OpenSUSE media, you should be able to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 or something to jump to a virtual console. there you can run commands as root. you can do this to list the disks detected and their partition tables:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    if you're not sure of the output, you can post it here.

but likely what you said is what you need to do: delete the 2gb partition and utilize all the unpartitioned space to create your new partitions. you'll have to be in advanced install mode to do that, i'm sure.

i would be worried about the error creating /dev/sda5 though, why would you not just see that again? just so you know, their can only be 4 primary partitions. if you make 3 primary, and then created an extended partition out of the 4th one, then you can put a zillion (not really, but a lot of) partitions in there. The installers these days handle that for you behind the scenes though...i just mention it as food for though. your problem may be elsewhere. when you run the installer again, if you get that problem, post the exact error message you get back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenglove View Post
    First time I've tried installing Linux (openSuSe, to be exact). Wanted a dual-boot system ...
    Golden,
    Try using the Live-CD for GPartEd ,
    or the Live-CD for Parted-Magic,
    both from OSDisc.com for about $2.35 each.
    GPartEd is a GUI presentation of PartEd ( Partition Editor ).
    The presentation and control over potential errors is great.
    Max info about any detected partition.

Have installed dozens of multi-boot systems,
    some with 10 OS on the same HD,
    always using Parted-Magic as the pre/post and formatting/partitioning program.
    The presentation and control over potential errors is great.

Commonly, I boot the live-CD of Puppy Linux, which has 'gparted' and 'grub4dos'.
    (1) Then use gparted to pre-partition a HD, shrinking the NTFS XP partition, and creating a Linux EXT2 partition.

(2) At this point, I install Ubuntu or Slack, or Knoppix, or any other Linux OS into the prepared partitions.
    ( Ubuntu writes its own MBR and bootloader, which you could use as is, if you want.
    ( I don't, so I proceed to the next step to install the 'grub4dos' MBR and bootloader system.)

(3) Then reboot Puppy Linux, and use 'grub4dos' to install the MBR code and bootloader I want, and the 'menu.lst'.
    ( 'grub4dos' will seek the 'grldr' bootloader and 'menu.lst'. Standard Linux method.
    ( This 'menu.lst' is pre-written with pre-scanned system info.
    ( This 'menu.lst' is usually 'ready to fly', just edit out what you don't want.
    ( This 'menu.lst' always finds the M$ bootloader and all Linux bootloaders.

Hope that idea helps see a standardized pattern of installing a Linux OS.

buena suerte,
    glene77is
    Last edited by glene77is; 06-24-2012 at 02:53 PM.