Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi LinuxForum I installed fedora with freespace i shrank from my windows 7 installation. For whatever reason I used Windows Disk Managment to delete the 500mb partition and the fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face GRUB command line at boot /appending boot values

Hi LinuxForum

I installed fedora with freespace i shrank from my windows 7 installation. For whatever reason I used Windows Disk Managment to delete the 500mb partition and the fedora partition, leaving only the windows partition. (I backed up windows before I rebooted because I knew inside this would happen). I rebooted and got only a GRUB command line, windows wont boot.

I did some research and got Windows to boot using GRUB commands:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

Windows loaded fine, but now I have to type those commands into GRUB everytime I restart and my fiancee won't know how to start windows if it gets reboot.

Is there a way to append those values to some configuration file so that the system automatically boots windows?

THANK YOU!!!

Linux Guru
    I'm not really clear on what you did. If I understand correctly, you had windows 7 on the machine, shrank its partition to make room for Fedora, installed Fedora then deleted Fedora. Is that correct? And what is the 500MB partition you are referring to? What was on that? When you boot do you just get the grub prompt (grub>) or is there a message? If a message, what is it? It sound to me like you installed the Fedora Grub bootloader to the master boot record of the hard drive and when you deleted the Fedora partition, you deleted almost all of the Grub files necessary to boot. If the commands you list above worked to boot windows, you have Grub Legacy and you would need a grub.conf file where you could enter that. Unfortunately, that file is either on a separate boot partition or on the root partition of Fedora. More detail on you partitions and boot files would help. If you still have the Fedora (or any other Linux) CD, boot with it, google bootinfoscript, read the directions on how to run it, download it, run it and post the output here. The bootinfoscript is a bash script and won't run on windows. Are you still planning to install Fedora or another Linux? Another simpler option if you have the windows 7 installation CD, is to boot it and select the repair option and reinstall the windows bootloader to the mbr. I'm not familiar with windows so if you have the installation CD, you might google reinstalling windows bootloader after removing Linux or something similar. A Recovery CD will not work, AFAIK.

Yes, I believe the 500mb partition must have been the boot loader or swap partition linux created when i installed it (i didnt notice it there before), and the fedora partition is gone (i deleted it). I just have a grub prompt (GRUB> ), no message. I cannot install bootinfoscript because it is a bourne again shell script and I do not have linux installed at the time (i deleted it).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    As I indicated in my previous post, you can boot any Linux Live CD, download and run the bootinfoscript from it. Do you not have your Fedora CD/DVD?

Thumbs up Solved

Thank you for your help, I did some research into bootinfoscript and deducted that the problem is with the MBR and the boot loader for Windows partition. I followed these steps to fix this problem and boot windows when computer starts automatically.

Insert Windows 7 Install disc, reboot, boot from CD Drive.
    Click Repair your Computer (bottom left of Windows Install Now screen)
    Selected my installation of Windows and hit next.
    Opened the Command Prompt (easy, there was a link)
    Type:
    bootrec /?
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    Closed prompt and restarted with restart button.

It was that easy, if anybody has this problem!