Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got a new laptop, and I would like to put my first installation of Linux on it. The only problem is that it runs on flash memory, so it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux and Windows on only 100 GB

I got a new laptop, and I would like to put my first installation of Linux on it. The only problem is that it runs on flash memory, so it only has 100GB of memory on it. Now, I am pretty worried as to how I can install both Linux and Windows on it, especially as some programs I want to run don't seem to run on Wine. I think the Windows installation only takes up 40 GB. On the other hand, I'm planning on installing Pinguy OS, which comes with a bunch of applications included. Finally, I'm not sure where I'm going to get more space for other programs I'd like to install. Would it be possible to put everything else on an external hard drive?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Generally speaking, most Linux systems will use nowhere near the space a Windows installation does so you should be fine.
    oz

Welcome aboard!

Unless you intend to install a lot of software, or download a good deal of music/movies, 25-30 GB will do nicely for a standard Linux install.
    My system (Slackware 13.37) has a 15 GB / directory, and is only around 50% full.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close