Find the answer to your Linux question:
I’m using GParted to set up the HD for multiple distros before I do any installs; from what I’ve read I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here. So far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Errors / pre-installation disk partitioning for multiple distros:

I’m using GParted to set up the HD for multiple distros before I do any installs; from what I’ve read I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here. So far I haven’t been able to get it to work with just space for three distros.

I want to play with ~ dozen distros on the same machine. To save space I want all of them to share the ./Swap partition. If I understand things correctly I should be able to use the same ./Boot for all of them? For my convenience I want them to share the ./home mount point so that all my data is together no matter what I boot.

I’ve been setting the disk up as follows: (In order from beginning of the disk to the end of the disk.)

sda1 ./Swap 5GB (1.5x RAM) Primary
    sda2 ./Boot 100MB Primary (Flagged as Bootable) (ext4)
    sda3 ./home 200GB Primary (ext4)
    sda4 ./ 60GB Extended (ext4) (Further chopped up in to three 20GB Logical partitions on which to install the distros.)

But, every time I try to install any distro to this disk set up it crashes with various errors. Since this is occurring across multiple distros I’m pretty sure the error is mine. But I’ll be danged if I can figure out what it is. I’ve had no problems in the past cutting up a disk in basically the same way for a single install using all Primary partitions. And, from what I’ve read (unless I’m misunderstanding something) a *nix install can have its ./ partition on a Logical partition with no problem.

So where am I messing up?

Never mind, the error wasn't mine. I just need to quit monkeying around with third rate distros that can't get their installers right.