Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks to both, think I'll follow the advice. At the moment, the only distro I've got on my laptop is Ubuntu, as it's one of the easiest to use, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thanks to both, think I'll follow the advice. At the moment, the only distro I've got on my laptop is Ubuntu, as it's one of the easiest to use, but I've gone also through fedora on my Desktop PC. I've been warned Slackware is the most useful to learn the universal Linux basics, but I had some troubles trying to install it from live USB (that's why I chose Ubuntu, it was actually a second choice).

If someday I'll manage to get it installed in my computer, I'll ask again (sorry for the dumbness) to be sure about it. Currently I have /home directory installed in a separate partition I hoped to use with all distros at the same time. Formatting my root partition (/dev/sda3) to install a new OS will automatically delete every file I have in my /home partition (/dev/sda4), even if I expressly say to not format it, just because is used by Ubuntu as /home directory and mounted under /home/username? If yes, how can I keep data without having to backup the whole thing on an external hard drive? What if I first install Slackware or run anything through LiveUSB and use GParted to erase the root partition (I have to because I already have four primary partition, and so I must erase root before I can solve the deal by creating an extended one containing / as logical)?

Linux Guru
    Formatting my root partition (/dev/sda3) to install a new OS will automatically delete every file I have in my /home partition (/dev/sda4), even if I expressly say to not format it, just because is used by Ubuntu as /home directory and mounted under /home/username?
    No. If your /home partition is on sda4 and you select to install a new OS to sda3 and format sda3, sda3 data will be gone, sda4 data should still be there. I haven't installed with a separate partition for /home for multiple operating systems. I can see possible problems with that but they may be resolved fairly easily by someone who is experienced at it. The type of data you are referring to (Pictures, Movies, Documents) can easily be put on a separate partition and should be accessible from any without conflicts.

You might post your partition info with the command: sudo fdisk -l

Here it is:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xe3102a4b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2046      487423      242689    5  Extended
    /dev/sda2       330850304   347627519     8388608   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda3          487424    31944703    15728640   83  Linux
    /dev/sda4       347627520   976773167   314572824   83  Linux
    /dev/sda5   *        2048      487423      242688   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    It's a bit messed up. sda1 is an extended that contains boot partition. I plan to obviously remove the separate boot thing. Anyway, to try installing something else, I must first of all remove Ubuntu, as I've reached the max number of primary partitions and I can't do anything without removing one. So, I'll postpone everything when the summer's gone (Jim reference), as I'm gonna need much stuff I've installed during August. Do anyone mind if I pause this thread, bumping it on September?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2