Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently set up a dedicated grub2 boot partition on my main RAID volume and am having trouble booting OSes from it. It is bios configured software level RAID but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble booting from a RAID array with Grub2

I recently set up a dedicated grub2 boot partition on my main RAID volume and am having trouble booting OSes from it. It is bios configured software level RAID but I already have a windows 7 partition on it that I don't plan on re-installing in the near future, so I'd prefer not to recreate the RAID array differently as I have since learned I should have. Basically, I installed grub2 on the 20MB partition from fedora17 and used the OS prober to add the other OSes. Windows chain loads just fine and since I installed grub2 from fedora it can boot as well. However, the other two distros I want to experiment with (ArchLinux and Debian) cannot find the root filesystem, namely what is /dev/md126p7 and 6 respectively. I've edited the grub.cfg entries several times and I've tried to match the other distro entries to fedora's (they were previously just set to load the kernel with only the root parameter and also load the initrd). I've tried setting all of the filesystem references to the correct UUIDs as well as adding the fake RAID parameters that fedora uses, even thought I am not sure about what they all do (dm=0 rd.dm=0 rd.md.uuid=53b0caa2:141bb3a0:11319b4b:6c6cc6bd rd.md.uuid=6963a008:78f22c14:8c7bfe85:4c26b720 rd.luks=0 dmraid=true) but neither made a difference. I've been looking around for a few days and it seems that what I need is indeed fake RAID since my RAID is at the software level, however, I am having trouble finding any explanation of the fake RAID boot parameters or tutorials on how to configure fake RAID on boot. If anyone could provide an explanation or point me in the right direction, or point out that I'm going about this entirely wrong I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

What kind of RAID do you have? 0, 1, 5, 10?

Just Joined!
    Can't believe I forgot to mention. RAID 0.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This guy did it on RAID 0, but it looks pretty complicated to me: [SOLVED] Multi OS on RAID 0 array - Ubuntu Forums