Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Distribution recommended for minimal OS installation

I am working on a set-top media box. When booted, the box will simply bring up a media player. No other applications would run.

At present, we use VLC for the media player.

I am a bit biased towards debian-based distributions as the repositories tend to have everything I need. Plus, I am used to "apt-get" style install.

After a little bit of research, I settled on the following:

Minimal Ubuntu + OpenBox.

OpenBox is lightweight window manager and seems it can play VLC.

I am wondering if there is a better alternative. Although disk space is not that important, performance is.

Thank you in advance for your help.

if, as you say, performance is important, you may want to consider a source-based distro, like Gentoo. They take a little more elbow grease to install, but are worth it b/c they are built specifically for your hardware, with only the features you want. Along those lines, maybe Gentoox, a Gentoo-based XBMC port, would be of interest to you.

Instead of OpenBox, you could go truly minimal...

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    I have my media server running Arch. it's minimal and you can put any desktop environment you wan't on it.

The Sovereign State of South Carolina
    A very minimal Debian install with IceWM, TWM or one of the boxes. Better yet, if running just sound files, have no "GUI" at all and run all from a command line music player like mp3blaster, mplayer or cmus. With video you would of course need xwindows.

Echoes: 13 Command Line Tools for Audio on Linux
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here