Find the answer to your Linux question:
solved disabling UEFI didn't change anything, however i got it working in recovery mode only by using DVD with 64 bit iso only instead of bootable USB. I read that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux does not install...please help

solved
    disabling UEFI didn't change anything, however i got it working in recovery mode only by using DVD with 64 bit iso only instead of bootable USB. I read that USB's and UEFI do not mix well. Apparently so in my particular case.
    my hardware is all new, so i suspect more users in the future will be encountering this issue.

My hardware

Core i7(ivybridge) cpu
    Asus maximus 5 gene motherboard
    16 gigs ddr 3 ram
    Corsair SSD hardrive
    580 gtx nvidia graphics

What im doing

Dual booting (windows 7 Installed nicely)
    I have had several distros each properly put onto a USB drive as was windows which installed fine.

Problem

Mint 13, Fedora 17...etc will not go much farther than the grub menu. I can move the mouse cursor around but system is hung.

Example with mint 13: in boot devices, i have 2 options for the same USB, one has the prefix of "UEFI"...selecting either one results in same outcome.

I see the GRUB menu, if i select install Linux, screen goes black, later i see the mouse cursor...the end. I even took a two hour nap..nothing.

If i select "compatability mode" i see lots of text scrolling, eventually it says something about Xserver GUI failed...the end

Other distros like Fedora 17 for instance, i get to the part where i get the options to either try Fedora or install to disk...it hangs and wont do anything

What ive tried
    Different USB drives, different iso's from other servers, 64 bit isos, different usb ports. Googling didnt turn up much either but results suggest its a UEFI bios issue. Im noob so i didnt understand about all the complicated programming involved from those searches assuming thats the problem.

Search suggests that fedora 17 64 bit iso in UEFI mode should work but however it does not.

What can i try...step by step please? I fear if you guys cant help, no one can and ill be stuck having to buy an overpriced Mac or be stuck foreever with Windows (**shivers**)
    Last edited by NightScreams; 07-15-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Maybe computer make and model number will help in replies. UEFI bioses are new to us so may take some googling to figure this one out.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Maybe computer make and model number will help in replies. UEFI bioses are new to us so may take some googling to figure this one out.
    I built this computer myself. I listed all the major components that i purchased in my previous post. The UEFI bios is what the Asus maximux 5 Gene motherboard uses. they all use the same one...i'm guessing its an AMI.

I do however taken the liberty of having a picture that i see when i try to use "install linux recovery" Once i see this error box, i can't do much else, its basically froze. i can see the diagnostics as shown in pic, but that's it. its as far as it will let me go.

img690.imageshack.us/img690/9270/dscf1122g

add the h t t p / / at the beginning of that link and the .j p g at the end of the link becuase the forum doesn't allow me to post a picture of something that may help solve my problem

http//img690.imageshack.us/img690/9270/dscf1122g.jpg

as you can see does not provide a link to your image because I can post links on this forum.

http://www.img690.imageshack.us/img6.../dscf1122g.jpg

and I get this

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    with that address. I am not sure if this is you also.

Linux Mint 13 does nothing - Linux - PC Pitstop Forums

So I guess my question would be. Can you turn of UEFI in bios beofre booting a Linux disk?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ware_Interface

Edit. As another choice. You might think of running Linux inside of a Virtual machine inside of Windows. You definitely have the horse power to do this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi, NightScreams. Welcome aboard!

Here is a fixed link for your screenshot:
    http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9270/dscf1122g.jpg
    Like Roky mentioned, UEFI is a new one around here. But most of my searches led me to the same page on the ArchWiki.
    But it also begs the question of simply disabling UEFI prior to booting.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    But it also begs the question of simply disabling UEFI prior to booting.
    I had to do that on my new laptop
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    on my mobo, you have both UEFI and legacy...either one did the same thing. However i did eventually get it to work under recovery mode after i tried using a DVD instead of USB.

I caught one website, way down buried in a paragraph somwhere that mentioned USB and UEFI basically don't mix and to use DVD and 64 bit iso only so i did that and it would only work for recovery mode, but at least it did finally work.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

as you can see does not provide a link to your image because I can post links on this forum.

and I get this

with that address. I am not sure if this is you also.

So I guess my question would be. Can you turn of UEFI in bios beofre booting a Linux disk?

Edit. As another choice. You might think of running Linux inside of a Virtual machine inside of Windows. You definitely have the horse power to do this.
    yes thats me too. i can't post links, i can't even quote links, lol. i tried posting the question in several places as Google doesn't really come up with anything i can make much sense of.
    i eventually got it to install, but i don't have the normal Mint desktop, just a low resolution mode with very basic enviro. Can't do a lot with it really.
    I'm taking it now that the Nvidia drivers are not functioning. I've used many ways to get drivers, they seem to install but after reboot ....still the same.

I basically still have the same x server issue, but now i think its video driver related and i can't seem to make the drivers i'm trying work.

Basically its just been once consistant problem after the next. But as far as this particular problem, i guess i can consider it solved since i did finally get it on my drive.

i'll follow up the other issues in a different thread. thanks all for the help.
    For future reference if others have simialr issue, tell them to try 64bit iso from a DVD and use recovery option.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's this Samsung. Not exactly top of the line but it does the job!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!