Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear Friends I have to install a 64 bit machine with 64 bit RHEL 5 . The issue is while I am spinning the installation media by default its getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64 bit installation

Dear Friends
    I have to install a 64 bit machine with 64 bit RHEL 5 . The issue is while I am spinning the installation media by default its getting installed in 32 bit mode . However I want to install in 64 bit mode My question is that is there any option by choosing which I can make sure to install RHEL in 64 bit mode .
    Please point me to some link if possible .
    Thanks and Regards
    Vipan k. sharma

I've not installed the proper RHEL 5 before, I've only ever installed CentOS and other distributions that are based upon it. My experience of it is that there are separate installer disks for the 32bit and 64 bit versions. Even if you're doing a network install you could use the 64 bit install disk and do a bare minimum install and add packages afterwards.

Also you should be aware that RHEL 6 has been available for a year or two now. Unless you're installing a particular version for a specific reason, then you should try to use the newest one if possible as it will be maintained for much longer.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/