Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last week I ran into someone who wants to learn both Windows and Linux. So I am wondering how do I partition the hard drive to set up this dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up a windows linux dual boot

Last week I ran into someone who wants to learn both Windows and Linux. So I am wondering how do I partition the hard drive to set up this dual boot?

I know windows goes in first, but, being a relative noobie, setting the partition table is what I am not sure about.

I'm thinking to give this person a rolling release just to help them learn

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

After installing Windows, then use a partitioning tool like Parted Magic to shrink the Windows partition.
    Then, boot up with a Linux installation disc. Most modern distros will as you if you want to install Linux alongside Windows.

As far as the partition scheme, you'll likely want 3 Linux partitions. Around 10 - 15 GB for /, 30 or 40 GB for /home, and maybe 2 to 4 GB for a SWAP partition.
    The size of the partitions will depend on your needs, and others may chime in with other suggestions. But, for a general use machine, that layout will provide suitable amount of space to store data (Movies, Music, personal documents, etc.).
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I thought that might be the case, but thought I should check because making a mistake at the install is not a good way to impress tham about the worthiness of Linux.

Thanks