Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to install Windows 2K and suse 9.2 and mepis on the same drive. How do I get the system to know which linux version to load when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multiple booting

I would like to install Windows 2K and suse 9.2 and mepis on the same drive. How do I get the system to know which linux version to load when booting? Are there other problems that I might look for in this application? Thanks

I presume Windows is already on this box? I'd install Mepis next. When it asks to install the bootloader, choose grub and install to the MBR. After installation, and you are dual booting swimmingly between Mepis and Windows, copy the Windows and Mepis entries from your /boot/grub/menu.lst and store it in a safe place in your home directory.

Then install SuSE. Make sure you install it to new partitions and not over your Mepis partitions. I'd also create a seperate /home partition for SuSE. Also install grub to the MBR in SuSE.

After the SuSE installation, it's a simple matter to take the Windows and Mepis entries you saved and place them in your new SuSE /boot/grub.menu.lst. After saving the file and rebooting, you should have Windows, Mepis and SuSE all in your grub list.

Hers a copy of my old SuSE/Mandrake menu.lst to give you an idea about how to set it up...

Code:
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Nov 12 12:49:06 2004

color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 15
    gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title Linux
        kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 vga=0x317 splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda8 showopts
        initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.img

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
    title Floppy
        root (fd0)
        chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe
        kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0  3
        initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Mandrake###
    title Mandrake
        kernel (hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off vga=788
        initrd (hd0,9)/boot/initrd.img
    Whatever you do, take your time and be patient! If you rush, you can overlook something.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip. I have suse 9.0 and W2K on this machine now, but I wanted the new 9.2 version and a copy of Mepis along with W2K. Any suggestions to make this painless? Thanks.

I would then upgrade your existing SuSE to the newer version. After the upgrade, make sure you can still dual boot without problems between Windows and SuSE.

Do you have access to Partition Magic? I'd create the new partitions for Mepis with PM. Be sure to copy your SuSE /boot/grub/menu.lst after upgrade and save it just for a safety. I presume you don't have a seperate partition for /boot?

Install Mepis, installing grub to the MBR. After the Mepis install is complete and you are booting to Mepis via your grub menu without issues, edit your new Mepis /boot/grub/menu.lst inserting the saved entries from the SuSE /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Please understand all this comes without any gaurantees...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here