Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Friends I just bought ASUS Zenbook U31 with windows 7 preloaded. I want to make it duel boot with Scientific Linux. Problem is zenbook has SSD. I don't know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Duel Boot In ASUS Zenbook UX31

Hi Friends
    I just bought ASUS Zenbook U31 with windows 7 preloaded. I want to make it duel boot with Scientific Linux. Problem is zenbook has SSD. I don't know how to partition SSD. If I partition it like regular hard disk drive then is it going to slow down my SSD performance? Then how can I make it duel boot? is it the same way that I make hard disk drive duel boot? I have so many thinks in my laptop that I'm really scared to do experiment at this moment. Please help me out with your feedback.

Thanking you
    zaved

Just Joined!
    The fact that you have a Solid-State Drive is not a problem. What is the size of your SSD?

Just Joined!
    SSD is 128 GB. I also found some comments on the swap space that is required for linux installation. as SSD has limited number of write capability does it going to damage SSD?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaved View Post
    SSD is 128 GB. I also found some comments on the swap space that is required for linux installation. as SSD has limited number of write capability does it going to damage SSD?
    Swap space is somewhat required, but you can decrease the amount needed by increasing the amount of RAM that your system is using. Also, SSD's do have limited write cycles and each write does decrease the life-span of the drive. So, it stands to reason that using swap on the SSD would have a hand in diminishing the life of the drive. It all depends on you and how much you stress your system, but keep in mind that you are also using Windows. Windows also uses a swap space known as a page file.

So, to answer your question. No, It will not damage your SSD, but it will decrease the life-span. How quickly depends on how much demand you put on your system. However, Linux Swap will not decrease the drives life any worse than Windows will. Sorry, that is the trade-off for speed. Regular HDD's may be slower, but have unlimited write cycles.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by completelinuxnube; 08-07-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Made a change in sentence structure

Just Joined!
    If you wish to proceed, you will need to resize your Windows partition (use caution). You will also have to setup the partitions you wish to use for Linux. There is no difference in the method of partitioning the SSD from the standard HDD, except the fact that the writing of the partitions themselves will count toward your write cycles. The concern about slowing down the performance of your drive is not an issue. If it does happen to do so, it will be ever so slightly, and you will not notice a difference. Do not worry so much about write cycles, the average user will not reach the life-span of their SSD for several years. The dual boot will be done just as any other. Just make sure to install the proper boot loader for your distro and into the correct location on your drive (normally the MBR). Check online for more information on creating a dual boot of Windows 7 and Linux, there are tons of articles covering this topic. As always, make sure that you backup any important files that you may wish to keep (it is just good practice), before going forward. Keep in mind that Windows requires a minimum of 16 GBs to run properly on a 32 bit system and 20 GBs on a 64-bit system (more if you want better performance). I would recommend splitting it down the middle between Windows and Linux.