Find the answer to your Linux question:
Folks, I've been dual-boot installing Linux on my homebuilt PCs for many years back to the early Slackware days. However, in recent years I admit I've become fat dumb and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

massive linux install fail

Folks, I've been dual-boot installing Linux on my homebuilt PCs for many years back to the early Slackware days. However, in recent years I admit I've become fat dumb and lazy as this process has gotten easier. Now I have a puzzle I can't solve - I can't find a single Linux distro that likes my new system!

Hardware:
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
    Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
    SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C8D-8GAB
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I first installed Windows 7 to the SSH, which went fine. All hardware found. Windows drivers updated, etc. I left a separate partition reserved and unformatted on the SSH for Linux. Memory tests, etc., all OK.

For Linux installation, I'm burning downloaded .iso files to DVD (or CD as the case may be). And yes, I always select the option to verify the burn.

I next tried to install Fedora 17 for dual-boot
    (Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso)
    Selected standard install after booting from the burned DVD. Got a blank screen. Read online about possible issues with NVIDEA drivers. From the forums, tried adding 'nouveau.noaccel=1' to the install command, no difference. Decided to remove all peripheral cards from the motherboard (video and audio) and try again. Selected install system with basic video driver. Get the graphic with the small circle slowly filling with white from left to right. Stops about 80% through. Hangs forever. Tried using a different PC and software to re-download and re-create the DVD from .iso. Same thing. Tried the Fedora 17 KDE spin iso (Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-KDE). Same thing.

For all of the distros below, I still have the video and sound cards totally removed from the motherboard.

Tried Fedora 15 (Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso)
    I have had success with this one on other systems. Selected install system with basic video driver. Shows install text scrolling on the terminal. Gets to 'Detecting hardware. Waiting for hardware to initialize ...' Hangs forever.

Scientific Linux (SL-62-i386-2012-02-06-Everything-DVD1 and 2). This one gets to the first install screen. However, it does not take any input from my USB keyboard. Rebooted with a different USB keyboard, same issue.

Mint 13 (linuxmint-13-cinnamon-dvd-64bit)
    White rectangle in upper left corner of screen. Hangs forever.

Ubuntu 12 (ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386)
    At boot-up, get a purple screen with a small graphic at the bottom. Then get a blank screen. Hangs forever. Actually, re-doing this a few times, I am now seeing that I can type a few characters and they show on the blank screen. But then still hangs forever.

I have to conclude that Linux just does not like my ASRock motherboard.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try booting into text mode (run level 3) and then blacklist nouveau and finally install the nvidia proprietary drivers. At that point, see if the startx command will give you a proper GUI. If so, then switch back to run level 5 (GUI mode) by editing /etc/inittab, and then reboot.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I am having the exact same problem. The only hardware I have in common with you is the motherboard. I tried Mint, Ubuntu, Suse, and Knoppix live with no luck. If anyone successfully installed Linux with a ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard please post the details. I'll try Rubberman's tips and see what happens.
    Last edited by KillBot; 08-14-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Just Joined!
    Its been a while but I finally figured out the problem a few days ago. It was as simple as moving my sata3 drives to the Intel sata port on the motherboard (SATA3_0_1, grey, next to black). I mistakenly had one of them plugged into the Asmedia sata port, which Linux apparently doesn't have a driver for. Burningbright, check your sata cables. I'm willing to bet you did the same thing.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by KillBot View Post
    Its been a while but I finally figured out the problem a few days ago. It was as simple as moving my sata3 drives to the Intel sata port on the motherboard (SATA3_0_1, grey, next to black). I mistakenly had one of them plugged into the Asmedia sata port, which Linux apparently doesn't have a driver for. Burningbright, check your sata cables. I'm willing to bet you did the same thing.
    KillBot you are my hero. I have been trying to install ubuntu 12.10 on my desktop for a month. i tried so many different things I have found on the internetz. All i had to do was change my disc drive to a different sata port. Thank you so much