Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good evening everyone, I have successfully installed Suse 9 and Mandrake 9 on previous occasions. I have now upgraded my computer, new Mobo, Intel CPU and SATA HDD. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot install Linux - humbly request advice

Good evening everyone,
    I have successfully installed Suse 9 and Mandrake 9 on previous occasions. I have now upgraded my computer, new Mobo, Intel CPU and SATA HDD.

I have a 15Gb HDD (which I hope to use for Linux) set up as slave on primary IDE. ie No master on primary IDE. I have a DVD-RW as master on secondary IDE and a CD-RW as slave on secondary IDE.
    My WindowsXP 160Gb SATA drive is detected as a third master. Everything works normally in that regard, but I cannot load/install Linux at all.

Trying to install Suse 9, it stalls; and trying to install Mandrake 9, I am informed I have no CD ROM drive. Irrespective of whether I have DVD or CD drive as boot device. Does the previously mentioned configuration have any bearing and if so, is there a solution.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks John
    jnstricko (at) bigpond (dot) com

Linux Newbie
    Why not have a master on the primary channel? Changing that *might* solve your problem.
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalters
    Why not have a master on the primary channel? Changing that *might* solve your problem.
    I think so too and it's not a very difficult thing to do

Linux Engineer
    Make the hd master instead of slave.
    Sometimes having a cd drive on the same string as anything else can be screwy with Linux, so that might also be a problem.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for all the replies. Set the HD on Primary IDE as master, but that has made no difference. The motherboard I now have is an ASUS P4P800S-X, I'm wondering if that may be a component that doesn't want to play along. I'll have to investigate further. thanks again all.
    John

Just Joined!

P4P800S-X

I am not sure if you have solved this problem or not since I have thesame problem too with this MB P4P800S-X. If you do can youo please tell me what you did to solve this problem? I appreciate it.

I guess if you haven't solved this problem, Linux users should not support ASUS anymore. I don't think this company is seriously considering Linux users. Even to get a technical support is one of the worsts here in North America specially the I am living in Canada. I guess we shoule be supporting the manufacturers who are serious in considering linux users. Thanks.