Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, SL6 displays one or more disks are failing alert after logging in. Also most of time the SL6 is failing to boot and goes into error console. This is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

One or more disks are failing in SL6

Hi,

SL6 displays one or more disks are failing alert after logging in. Also most of time the SL6 is failing to boot and goes into error console. This is where i ran the fsck command manually to clear the bad sectors(Guessing it clears) in each partitions and it boots successfully. But still displays the above alert even after running the fsck manually and successfully logged in to SL6.

Please help me to recover from this issue.

oz
    forum.guy
    If any of your drives are beginning to accumulate bad sectors and throw warning messages, I'd recommend doing a full backup before it's too late, then if any of your disks test as bad, replacing the bad drive(s) and restoring your backup to the new disc(s). Most hard drive makers provide a free utility for testing their drives, and your drives may still be under warranty so that you can get free replacements. You can also do some testing of your discs with S.M.A.R.T.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I have formatted my disk recently, before installing linux. I wasn't sure what could be root cause for this issue?

I have installed the drivers for Video or Audio after the installation of linux. Could that be a problem for this? However i will check the utilities first and comeback with the results. Just wanted to know if there are any drivers need to be installed after installing linux distribution.
    Last edited by vel4ever; 08-22-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by vel4ever View Post
    I have installed the drivers for Video or Audio after the installation of linux. Could that be a problem for this? However i will check the utilities first and comeback with the results. Just wanted to know if there are any drivers need to be installed after installing linux distribution.
    No, installing hardware drivers shouldn't cause bad sectors to accumulate on hard drives, or cause them to fail.

Most hardware drivers are included within the Linux kernel, but if you have some hardware that needs drivers not found in the kernel, you would need to install those if you want the hardware to function properly.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the clarification OZ.

Just Joined!
    Now i am unable to mount my hard disk. I get an error message Unable to mount location. Not authorized

what to do now?

Linux Engineer
    Replace the failed drive. Re-install with good backups.

Just Joined!
    Thank you.