Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Allied Data Copperjet 800 USB ADSL modem. I'm in the UK, and I'm trying to get it to work with Freeserve Broadband. I found some drivers for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB ADSL modem troubles

I have an Allied Data Copperjet 800 USB ADSL modem. I'm in the UK, and I'm trying to get it to work with Freeserve Broadband. I found some drivers for the modem (ppoe won't work because it's not connected to an Ethernet card), and they're in beta (co800.sourceforge.net). I come up with a problem when I compile the drivers - about the stage when the kernel modules are being built (the errors from make are below). It could just be that the drivers aren't working because they're in beta, but I don't want to have to wait until they develop further. It's a little disappointing, so I'm hoping somebody can help. Any ideas?

[root@localhost co800_static_IP_v1.0.0_beta]# make
    make -C fwload
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/co800_static_IP_v1.0.0_beta/fwload'
    cc -I../lib/libusb -c common.c
    cc -I../lib/libusb -lusb 5160.c common.o -o 5160
    cc -I../lib/libusb -c 5200pfw.c
    cc -I../lib/libusb -lusb -lm 5200.c common.o 5200pfw.o -o 5200
    5200.c:308:32: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
    cc -I../lib/libusb -lusb co800ioctl.c -o co800ioctl
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/co800_static_IP_v1.0.0_beta/fwload'
    make -C module
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/co800_static_IP_v1.0.0_beta/module'
    cc -DMODULE -I../lib/sarlib -I/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb -I/usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -D__KERNEL__ -c co800.c
    <command line>:137971655:18384: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
    from /usr/include/linux/list.h:6,
    from /usr/include/linux/module.h:11,
    from co800.c:12:
    /usr/include/asm/processor.h:55: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
    /usr/include/asm/processor.h:55: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:297,
    from co800.c:12:
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error "================================================= ======"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:4:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:5:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:6:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:7:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:8:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:9:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:10:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:11:2: #error "programs should not directly include <linux/*.h> or"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:12:2: #error "<asm/*.h> as well."
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:13:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:14:2: #error "To build kernel modules please do the following:"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:15:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:16:2: #error " o Have the kernel sources installed"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:17:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:18:2: #error " o Make sure that the symbolic link"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:19:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build exists and points to"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:20:2: #error " the matching kernel source directory"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:21:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:22:2: #error " o Now copy /boot/vmlinuz.version.h to"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:23:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:24:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:25:2: #error " o When compiling, make sure to use the following"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:26:2: #error " compiler option to use the correct include files:"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:27:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:28:2: #error " -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:29:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:30:2: #error " instead of"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:31:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:32:2: #error " -I/usr/include/linux"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:33:2: #error ""
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:34:2: #error " Please adjust the Makefile accordingly."
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:35:2: #error "================================================= ======"
    In file included from co800.c:12:
    /usr/include/linux/module.h:299: parse error before "UTS_RELEASE"
    /usr/include/linux/module.h: In function `print_symbol':
    /usr/include/linux/module.h:433: `ESRCH' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/include/linux/module.h:433: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /usr/include/linux/module.h:433: for each function it appears in.)
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:136,
    from co800.c:22:
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error "================================================= ======"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:4:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:6:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:7:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:8:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:9:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:10:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:11:2: #error "programs should not directly include <linux/*.h> or"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:14:2: #error "To build kernel modules please do the following:"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:16:2: #error " o Have the kernel sources installed"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:19:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build exists and points to"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:20:2: #error " the matching kernel source directory"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:22:2: #error " o Now copy /boot/vmlinuz.version.h to"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:23:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:25:2: #error " o When compiling, make sure to use the following"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:26:2: #error " compiler option to use the correct include files:"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:28:2: #error " -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:34:2: #error " Please adjust the Makefile accordingly."
    /usr/include/linux/version.h:35:2: #error "================================================= ======"
    In file included from /usr/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
    from /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:46,
    from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:139,
    /usr/include/linux/irq.h: At top level:
    /usr/include/linux/irq.h:65: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
    /usr/include/linux/irq.h:65: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:46,
    from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:139,
    /usr/include/asm/hardirq.h:16: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
    /usr/include/asm/hardirq.h:16: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:139,
    /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:129: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
    /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:129: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from co800.c:26:
    /usr/include/linux/atmdev.h:214:22: net/sock.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from co800.c:26:
    /usr/include/linux/atmdev.h: In function `atm_may_send':
    /usr/include/linux/atmdev.h:450: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    In file included from ../lib/sarlib/sarlib.h:16,
    from co800.c:28:
    In file included from co800.c:28:
    ../lib/sarlib/sarlib.h:17:41: missing binary operator before '('
    In file included from ../lib/sarlib/sarlib.h:20,
    from co800.c:28:
    /usr/include/linux/malloc.h:4:2: warning: #warning linux/malloc.h is deprecated, use linux/slab.h instead.
    co800.c:183:16: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
    make[1]: *** [co800.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/co800_static_IP_v1.0.0_beta/module'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Linux Guru
    It seems to me that you don't have your kernel source code installed. You will need that to compile kernel drivers.

Just Joined!
    I worked that out myself in the end anyway - the kernel source is hidden in the depths of the Mandrake internationalization CD (what a strange place to put it!). However, I've hit another problem - the drivers ask for my static I.P. address and I have a dynamic one. What should I do?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by o0zi
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/co800_static_IP_v1.0.0_beta/fwload'
    It seems to me (by looking at the name) that you downloaded a driver that only is for static IP addresses. See if there is one for dynamic ones instead.