Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am trying to install an OS, Fedora I believe. I downloaded the file, did what I need to, and it's on my USB Flash Drive. I did this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with BIOS password

Hi. I am trying to install an OS, Fedora I believe. I downloaded the file, did what I need to, and it's on my USB Flash Drive. I did this from my Mac, and I can use it on my Mac.
    I do want to use it on my PC though, but when I try to go into the BIOS or system setup, by pressing F2 when the computer is booting, they ask me for a password. I don't know why they are asking me for a password to get into the BIOS, but it is a password that I don't know. Its not the one I use to log on. I don't know what I can do to change the settings to make the computer Boot from the USB Flash Drive.

Anyone have any ideas? Any would be appreciated. Thank you.

Linux Guru
    I do want to use it on my PC though,
    Bios passwords are set by the administrator to keep users from screwing with their computer. If it is your computer. You must have set the bios password.

You are on your own I am afraid on that one. At the risk of getting in trouble here with admin. Google bios and or cmos reset for the model of your computer.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Bios passwords are set by the administrator to keep users from screwing with their computer. If it is your computer. You must have set the bios password.

You are on your own I am afraid on that one. At the risk of getting in trouble here with admin. Google bios and or cmos reset for the model of your computer.
    This is my PC though. I don't remember setting a password on my BIOS ever. If I would, I would have used my login password; but that doesn't work. Is there a way that I can reset the BIOS password from being logged in the computer, or any other way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    To get information on how to do this, just do a web search for "reset password on ???", substitute the manufacturer name for the questions marks. Removing the CMOS battery will usually do this but you haven't told us if this is a desktop, laptop or the name of the manufacturer.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    To get information on how to do this, just do a web search for "reset password on ???", substitute the manufacturer name for the questions marks. Removing the CMOS battery will usually do this but you haven't told us if this is a desktop, laptop or the name of the manufacturer.
    Hi. Thank you for your reply.
    I have a Gateway NV55C. It's a Laptop.
    The Specs (if you need them)
    Intel Pentium P6100
    Intel HD Graphics
    3GB DDR3 Memory (RAM)

What I might do if I have to is contact Gateway Customer Support to see if they can help me. What do you think?

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem on my current laptop. Since it was a display piece used in a store it had a bios password they forgot to remove when they sold it to me.
    Pros: perfectly good laptop at 50%
    Cons: Didn't boot from cd or usb :P

They ofc gave me the bios password when i called.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjordis View Post
    I had the same problem on my current laptop. Since it was a display piece used in a store it had a bios password they forgot to remove when they sold it to me.
    Pros: perfectly good laptop at 50%
    Cons: Didn't boot from cd or usb :P

They ofc gave me the bios password when i called.
    I did not get the display model. SO what i might have to do is call gateway and see if they can help me out.