Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04.1 on my Dads desktop. The thing is he has a very crappy HP Invent desktop and it will not do anything I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Crappy PC won't do anything

Hi
    I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04.1 on my Dads desktop. The thing is he has a very crappy HP Invent desktop and it will not do anything I want it to ldo. I am switching my Dad over because Windows Vista keeps giving him the Blue Screen of Death.

The computer will not load Windows when I want it to, but when I can get into Windows, it's only for like 60 seconds before it goes back to the BSOD. So, installing Ubuntu is not an option from the desktop is not an option.

Another way I have tried is to install Ubuntu is from the USB Flash drive. Still even when I can get the computer to even load the USB, Ubuntu will crash, and go to a terminal looking screen with text and will just stay like that.
    That is when I can get it to boot off the Flash Drive. What is happening right now is that when I turn on the computer, I will try to go into the boot settings, but then the computer will freeze before it even gets there. So I am not able to get into the boot settings to set the computer to boot off the flash drive.

The computer is a piece of {poo} and all I wanna do is get Ubuntu (or any working operating system) on the computer. I don't care if I even have to delete Windows.

Do you think you can help me out at all?

Other notes.

I did get Ubuntu to install last night, I updated the computer and it was working great, but then I updated the drivers, and then I got the Black screen of uncomfortableness. It was a NVidia driver. Like Linus said F*** NVidia.

I have also tried unplugging the SATA from the HDD so it will not try to boot to Windows, but rather the Live USB flash drive. But still the computer will freeze at the screen with the options to go to the BIOS or system settings or repair mode. I think that this computer is just done for. I don't know what else I can do to fix this computer. Any suggestions? Should I just tell my dad to take it to a computer repair place, and have him tell them he wants Linux on the computer? (If they do that?)
    Last edited by CurtisCoburn; 09-15-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

you might have a hardware problem.

you may need to test your memory. if there are multiple sticks of RAM, test them one by one (by removing all the others and then booting the PC).

if you have any extra PCI cards installed, you may want to temporarily remove them, too.

it could also be a failing hard drive. Try SystemRescueCD, a Linux Live rescue environment. You can d/l an ISO of it and burn it to CD. Then boot the PC with it. Once you are up, you can run some diagnostic tools. The first thing i'd do is run dmesg and look for troublesome output.

have you checked HP's support website for a BIOS update? What is the model number of the PC?

Depending on the age and specs of the computer, Ubuntu may need too many resources for your computer. From the ubuntu wiki: The system requirements vary among Ubuntu products. For the main Ubuntu desktop product, the official Ubuntu Documentation recommends a 1 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 megabytes of RAM and 5 gigabytes of hard drive space, or better.[38] For less powerful computers, there are other Ubuntu distributions such as Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
    While 512 MB ram is listed, to function decently it takes at least 1 GB. Lubuntu or Xubuntu will run on lower specs though.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Depending on the age and specs of the computer, Ubuntu may need too many resources for your computer. From the ubuntu wiki: The system requirements vary among Ubuntu products. For the main Ubuntu desktop product, the official Ubuntu Documentation recommends a 1 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 megabytes of RAM and 5 gigabytes of hard drive space, or better.[38] For less powerful computers, there are other Ubuntu distributions such as Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
    While 512 MB ram is listed, to function decently it takes at least 1 GB. Lubuntu or Xubuntu will run on lower specs though.
    The computer is much more powerful than that. But I think I will be using Puppy Linux for the Live USB because the OS is so small, making it take up less recources, and it can just run off of the RAM, so there is no need to install the OS. But there seems to be a problem with the RAM. So, I will probably have to take apart the computer to get to the RAM so I can see which card it is. What I might also do is take out the 2 PCI express cards, and see if they might be faulty. But I do believe it to be the Memory.
    Thanks for the information.