Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so im good with computers, im not a programer or anything but i know my way around the simple stuff and i know some basic LUA and html (the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to dual boot linux mint 13 (in english)

Ok, so im good with computers, im not a programer or anything but i know my way around the simple stuff and i know some basic LUA and html (the basics) and I really want to try linux because i heard that its cool, but i dont know if i will like it so i want to try to dual boot it to test it out but all the tutorials i have looked at online are all so confusing!!! i dont understand anything of what they are doing!! So I was hoping you guys can explain to me how to dual boot linux mint 13 in simple forms... P.S. to make it more complicated for you, I dont have any blank disks :/ so I have to boot linux up with a USB flash drive, and the flash drive can only hold 1Gb which i dont even know if that is enough to hold linux.

1 GB should be enough, depending on the desktop you download Mint 13 takes 800 - 900 MB. Here is a link to how to install Mint from a USB. How to install Linux Mint via USB - Linux Mint Community Read the tutorial and post any specific questions you have. We can help walk you through the parts that confuse you. Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Hi.
    There is this a good question. I'll expand your opportunity with more than just Linux Mint. There is this Linux downloader I been using to put all sorts of Linux Kernals on it. So far I used Ubuntu, Fadora (Currently using), Puppy Linux, Linux Mint, and Arch Linux. It's a file download, so you don't need to install anything on your computer. Just on your USB. I highly recommend it, because it makes things so simple for downloading and installing on on your Drive. And you will get to try the OS a while before you can install it. If you don't like it, you can just delete everything on the USB Flash drive and get another one. I tried about 5 Linux Distros today.

Go to Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux
    Click that link ^^.
    Don't know why it changed it into words, instead of the URL. Download the file, and open it.
    It will ask you if it can make changes with your computer and select "Yes".
    When you open it up, you can select a distro you want to install, and what version. You can either burn it to a CD (If you have one) or just select the option to install it on your USB Flash drive. Once it installs, it will ask you if you want to reboot your computer and boot off the USB Flash drive.

You may have to change the setting in your BIOS (Which is easy, Youtube can help you with that) to boot from the USB Flash drive.

When you are booted, you can either install the Distro, or run it in a Live mode. (I reccommend doing Live mode at first to make sure you like it). When you are in the distro, you can also install it. It's really easy to do this. Good luck, and if you have any problems, the Linux community has your back.

Tux RULEZZZ
    Last edited by CurtisCoburn; 09-17-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added a line to the text