Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am worried, my PC show a black screen for only 1 second, and then all is ok for a long moment, but then this happens again, and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error: Black screen

Hi, I am worried, my PC show a black screen for only 1 second, and then all is ok for a long moment, but then this happens again, and the third time my PC don't respond, and I have to reset it. It happens since I upgrade 11.10 to 12.10 (now I know that I don't have to do that).

I search in some forums, but I don't sure, some forums tell me that I have to edit the grub, other tell me about nomodeset but I don't sure and I don't spoil anything. (I AM A BEGINNER)

Initially mi PC (64 bit, core i7, 16 RAM) was dual boot (window-ubuntu) since 8 months. when the problem happen, I formatted my PC, Ubuntu to Fedora, (but not dual-boot, only fedora) and the problem continued, then I formatted all and installed Ubuntu again (all ubuntu), the problem continued, now I installed window in all the system (I remove Linux). The problem only show in Linux, I did that because I didn't know what was the problem, mi PC or the Linux, now I know, the problem is the system, Linux. I want to install dual-bott (window-fedora) but when I try to install Linux the problem appears, black sreen for few seconds.

Please, help me

Hello.
    So, you had Ubuntu installed dual boot for 8 months and it was all good? Then one day out of the blue sky the screen starting blanking?

Sounds like an updated kernel or newer video drivers.

Err, wait a minute 16 RAM what? Is that a typo?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Does your computer happen to have 2 graphics cards? Perhaps a PCI card and an integrated chip?
    If so, then it's likely as Mike mentioned... a newer graphics driver. You might be able to disable the PCI card in your BIOS settings, ten install the needed drivers and re-enable it.

This is just some speculation.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Good idea, Jay. It's probably one of them new fangled NVIDIA/Optimus thingy majig.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I check, my CP only have one integrated card, not NVIDIA.

What I have to do?

Post the output of this
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

If you are unable to boot into Linux, you can use a LiveCD to post the output of the above command.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Ok, this is the output of "lspci | grep -i vga"

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controler: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Problem is not because of Graphics Card's driver. Have you tried nomodeset option in GRUB?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I read some about that but I don't understand very well what is nomodeset, I don't sure if I have to use that but please tell me What can I do for put in nomodeset mode?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast