Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a noob to Linux, not going to lie, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I've played with Ubuntu, which I'm not really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noob Triple Boot partition table configuration question.

Hi, I am a noob to Linux, not going to lie, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I've played with Ubuntu, which I'm not really a fan of and Fedora, which I really like (with the KDE Desktop Environment, not a fan of GNome) and I just discovered Mageia 2 which I want to start playing with. I am wanting to do a Triple Boot of Windows 7/Fedora 17/Mageia 2. So here are my questions 1. How should I partition my drive (using a 750 GB [698.6 GB usable] hard drive. and 2. In which order should I install.

Here is how its currently partitioned for this venture:

/dev/sda1 90 mb ntfs Windows Boot Manager
    /dev/sda2 100 gb ntfs Windows 7
    /dev/sda3 extended
    /dev/sda5 500 mb ext4 Fedora Boot Manager
    /dev/sda6 47.76 gb ext4 Fedora Root Drive
    /dev/sda7 4 GB Linux-swap
    /dev/sda8 47.76 ext4 Fedora Home Drive
    /dev/sda9 500 mb ext4 Mageia Boot Manager
    /dev/sda10 47.76 GB ext4 Mageia Root Drive
    /dev/sda11 4 GB Linux-swap
    /dev/sda12 47.76 GB ext4 Mageia Home Drive
    /dev/sda13 398.53 GB ntfs Files

If you have a better suggestion please tell me. I do want to have one large partition that can be shared between the three OS's.

Any info and tips on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

You can use a single swap partition for all Linux distros and you may not even need that if you have lots of RAM. I don't use a swap partition at all and haven't for the last 5 or 6 years.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm working with 4 GB DDR 2 and a separate video card with 1 GB of ram. Which order would you recommend I complete the install? I'm thinking Windows, Mageia 2 then Fedora?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTed420 View Post
    I'm working with 4 GB DDR 2 and a separate video card with 1 GB of ram. Which order would you recommend I complete the install? I'm thinking Windows, Mageia 2 then Fedora?
    Yes, definitely install Windows first.

I've never installed Mageia and haven't installed Fedora since Fedora Core 2 came out many years ago, but I believe your order on Linux installs sounds correct. Maybe someone else will chime in if there's any reason Fedora should be installed before Mageia.
    oz

First of all, install Windows OS. Linux distros installation order doesn't matter now because all distros are using GRUB2 now. GRUB2 detects all other installed distros without any problem.

I would suggest you to create partition structure before starting installation of any distro. Latest version of Windows OS (7) uses 2 Primary partitions now. Install Windows OS first. Use PartedMagic LiveCD to create partition structure for Linux distros after that.

* 2 Primary Partitions for Windows OS
    * 1 Extended Partition, use all the free space
    * Create Logical partitions inside Extended for Linux distros. 1 GB SWAP and 12-15GB each for / (root) partitions. There is no need to create separate /boot partition too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for getting this info to me so quickly. Many kudos on how helpful yall are, Thanks a bunch. I'm giving it a shot now and will post results when I'm done. Thanks again.