Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Intel Graphics card rarely pose any problem. As I suggested earlier, have tried Text Mode installation of Ubuntu? Ubuntu Alternate Installation edition has text mode installer and it works really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Intel Graphics card rarely pose any problem. As I suggested earlier, have tried Text Mode installation of Ubuntu? Ubuntu Alternate Installation edition has text mode installer and it works really fine in almost all machines.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Your computer came with an Atom N270 cpu and 1 GB DDR2 ram. If it started with linux, it was shipped with Ubuntu 8.04, now no longer supported. You might try Lubuntu, antiX, Crunchbang, or other low resource distro. If you like Puppy, it would fit the bill, but I prefer their LegacyOS version to straight puppy.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    thanks for your help. as vector works fine on live cd and the install nearly works would anyone have any suggestions how to get vector working as it's by far the best distro i've used for speed. i've found ubuntu really slow especially to boot when used before. the machine originally had xp.
    thanks

Just Joined!
    just to update. tried lubuntu. looked promising but then failed with an I/O error. then tried Ubuntu again - tried to select the text install but on the unetbootin menu for some reason the keyboard doesn't work so you cannot select anything other than default install, which then fails with a blank screen
    i am amazed i am having these problems on old machine. that is now 6 distros - none of them will install!

Just Joined!
    Tried Anti X and that won't boot either - cannot execute sbin/getty amongst a multitude of errors. got to say i am bamboozled - i cannot believe that linux which installs so easily is failing so spectacularly on this machine. it seems my only option is puppy or reinstall XP !

just tried Xubuntu - same keyboard issue cannot select, goes into default mode then hangs with a black screen.. woof woof the puppy is coming back
    Last edited by lrs777; 10-04-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lrs777 View Post
    thanks for your help. as vector works fine on live cd and the install nearly works would anyone have any suggestions how to get vector working as it's by far the best distro i've used for speed. i've found ubuntu really slow especially to boot when used before. the machine originally had xp.
    thanks
    If Vector works OK. The only problem I see from reading the net for your netbook running is your Broadcom wireless chipset. The Broadcom wireless chip seems to be the consistent net posting for any Linux distro for that netbook as far as any problems go.

just to update. tried lubuntu. looked promising but then failed with an I/O error.Tried Anti X and that won't boot either - cannot execute sbin/getty amongst a multitude of errors.just tried Xubuntu - same keyboard issue cannot select, goes into default mode then hangs with a black screen
    I have seen posts of Dell Mini 9 users on the internet running AntiX,Debian,Crunchbang,SolusOS,Puppy,Slackware(Vector Linux is slackware based.

Also. Have you md5sum checked your iso downloads for file integrity? Because you are having more problems than most other Dell Mini 9 Linux users are having booting up Linux as a live session, I own 2 eeepcs, a acer aspire one 9" atom netbook, and a M&A Companion 9" Atom Netbook. All running Linux OK with generally the same specs as your Dell Mini 9 (except none of my netbooks use a broadcom wireless chip).

With Vector Linux 7 STD Gold, not the live iso. I picked the vesa driver install option for graphics on my Amrel RT 786EX Police laptop as vesa is pretty bullit proof getting you to a desktop. I run wireless pcmcia card on that laptop. Puppy probably got you to a desktop because it defaulted to the vesa driver instead of xorg. In Vector install. I had a choice on whether to use xorg or vesa.

For Ubuntu and Debian based. Vesa primary boot option should get you up and booted to a desktop OK also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    thanks for your reply. md5sum has not been checked not sure how to do this. The thing i find with linux is you can search out solutions but whenever i seem to try any of them none of them work. I used to think i was quite computer literate but when you get knee deep in this stuff i've realised i am lacking the skills. for example i found this
    On Linux;
    cd Downloads (assuming Downloads is the path of the file)
    md5sum BAMFROMYOUJUSTDOWNLOADED.zip
    this is just unintelligible to me - i need every step in a form i can cut and paste! yes i am that stupid!

why would the broadcom wireless stop the OS installing? i have another computer with an atheros wireless card that won't work with most linux kernels (mandriva and pc linux were the exceptions) but i could always install the os

i've found that i can't even install puppy to the hd and boot. so this machine which did have XP and puppy installed fine with ntfs now has puppy on a usb stick with sd card that my camera wants back!

why would the broadcom wireless stop the OS installing?
    I don't know where you got that idea from. OS will load. Wireless with Broadcom just won't work out of the box is all for certain distros. Takes a little tweaking to get Broadcom wifi working with certain distros after getting booted up to a desktop. Just the way it is for Broadcom wireless.

Bad/corrupted iso downloads will keep a operating system from booting though. Hence it is a good practice to do md5sum or sha1 integrity checks on downloaded files from the internet.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Bad cds/dvds and wrong burn speeds and flaky dvdrw/cdrw drives can cause faulty boots also as well as flaky usb drives with windows firmware that is read only is installed on the usb stick also. Lot's of reasons a iso won't boot on a computer. But having a Broadcom wireless chip is not one of them.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    used WINMD5FREE as the files on are on a windows machine. this seemed like the easy route. Vector md5 checks out fine
    so i am stumped. i cannot use Vector Linux 7 STD Gold as it is not compatible with unetbootin

i cannot use Vector Linux 7 STD Gold as it is not compatible with unetbootin
    Maybe try http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ instead.

Good Luck with it.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast