Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an alcatel speedtouch adsl modem. The one shaped like a flatfish. My external is a Hayes Accura V92 56k, not good in WinXP, XP either adds multiple drivers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xoom x4 and linux

I have an alcatel speedtouch adsl modem. The one shaped like a flatfish.

My external is a Hayes Accura V92 56k, not good in WinXP, XP either adds multiple drivers or removes them, but will work in Linux as a dial up, for back up and faxes. This is the present xoom 3049 rebadged.

My internal PCI is a Hayes Accura V92 56k that works in WinXP but not in Linux.

I got a xoom X4 external that can connect via usb and ethernet, and both at the same time. According to what xoom states on the carton it must not be connected to linux via the usb port, but will via the ethernet card. Win XP is OK via usb.
    I'd have wanted it to work via usb, 'cos there will be virtually no setting up to carry out.

I have no idea how to set up the ethernet thingy to get it working.

Now, I installed SuSE 8.2 pro, it won't detect Alcatel.
    It can be setup to detect it, but only after a lot of hassle, too much hassle.
    Same for RedHat 9 Pro.
    Mandrake 9.1 powerpack is the only one to detect and correctly set up the alcatel.

It's also the only one to correctly set up :=
    My nvidia Gforce 3 card, the other 2 doesn't install 3d acceleration,
    detect and setup my 2 usb printers, laser & colour inkjet.
    Set up the screen geometry and resolution.

The xoom is sealed in its box, if I return it I'll get my money back, if I open it to try out the xoom, no refund, well, after all it's not faulty.

what is difficulty level to configure the modem & ethernet card, I am completely new to linux and this level of computing.
    Do you think it might work in the usb port.

thanks for replying.

Just Joined!
    As for plugging your external into a USB port, no idea. Maybe someone else can tell you, or maybe you can email their support guys.

The ethernet route should be very straight forward. Most cheap ethernet cards work fine with Linux (I'm yet to find one that doesn't work) and connecting to your modem should be documented with the manuals. You'll just need to figure out (or ask here) the linux equivelent.

Just Joined!
    Thank you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The reason that RH9 (and probable SuSE) didn't set up 3d acceleration for your nVidia card is that nVidia uses closed, proprietary drivers even for Linux, and most distributions don't like shipping them for that reason.
    And as far as I know, the speedtouch modem works in Linux (as proved by Mandrake, as well), so all you have to do is apparently to download the drivers for it for the other distros as well, if you want it to work there. There's no reason why you shouldn't get your money back if you already have a modem that works, right?
    As for your internal PCI modem, I'm guessing that the reason it doesn't work in Linux is because it's a WinModem. If you want to get it to work, try checking on http://www.linmodems.org/ and see if they have a driver for it.

The difficulty level can differ, depending on the hardware and software configuration. It's usually rather straight forward if you follow the installation instructions that comes with the drivers. Remember, though, that to compile kernel modules, you will need to have the kernel source code installed. You don't need to do anything with it, it just needs to be installed.