Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Config PC-1 AMD Core 4 RAM 8G PC-2 AMD Core 2 RAM 4G I run; # fdisk -l to find the device of USB stick then run; Code: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Problem re USB stick booting

Hi all,

Config
    PC-1
    AMD Core 4
    RAM 8G

PC-2
    AMD Core 2
    RAM 4G

I run;
    # fdisk -l
    to find the device of USB stick

then run;
    Code:
    # dd if=/path_to_ISO/.iso_image of=/dev/usd_stick
    to install the ISO image on the stick.

But the stick works to boot sometimes and fail another time. Same on both PCs. It just hangs there.

Please advise how to fix this problem? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Trusted Penguin
    Code:
    of=/dev/usd_stick
    I assume /dev/usd_stick means something like /dev/sdb and not /dev/sdb1, right?

I assume both PCs are set up in the BIOS to boot from removable/USB devices?

Did you "fdisk -l" the USB disk after the write to make sure that it had a partition marked as bootable?

You could try UNetbootin to write an ISO to the USB disk.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Code:
    of=/dev/usd_stick
    I assume /dev/usd_stick means something like /dev/sdb and not /dev/sdb1, right?

I assume both PCs are set up in the BIOS to boot from removable/USB devices?

Did you "fdisk -l" the USB disk after the write to make sure that it had a partition marked as bootable?

You could try UNetbootin to write an ISO to the USB disk.
    Hi,

It is a mystery

I have 3 USB sticks/drives with Fedora 17 desktop, Ubuntu 12.04 desktop and Debian 6.0 desktop burned on them respectively. Most the time they works without problem.

I tried reinstalling PC-1 running Ubuntu 12.04 alternative newly burned on another USB drive but unable to boot the PC. Then I tried other 3 USB drives mentioned above. But non of them worked.

Therefore I burned Ubuntu 12.04 alternative ISO on CD. Unfortunately the CD couldn't boot up the PC. Then I connected the SATA HD to another port and booted the PC with Ubuntu alternatvie USB drive. That time it worked. I also tried other 3 USB drives and found all of them work without problem to boot the PC.

It took me several hours to discover this mystery. Whenever I finished installation if I want to boot the PC with USB drive for reinstallation I have to connect the SATA HD to another port.

I don't understand WHY ???

satimis

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    It took me several hours to discover this mystery. Whenever I finished installation if I want to boot the PC with USB drive for reinstallation I have to connect the SATA HD to another port.

I don't understand WHY ???
    That's a good find. So have you examined the BIOS of the system, both before and after plugging in the USB disk and connecting the SATA HD to another port? Perhaps it does something to the boot order?

Linux Guru
    That's a good find. So have you examined the BIOS of the system, both before and after plugging in the USB disk and connecting the SATA HD to another port? Perhaps it does something to the boot order?
    Followings are steps performed:-

1)
    - Started Ubuntu 12.04 and plugin the USB stick/drive which has Ubuntu 12.04 alternative ISO burned on it
    - Reboot Ubuntu
    BIOS
    -> Boot
    (one item)
    -> Boot Priority
    1st boot device - Removable Device USB 2.0
    2nd boot device - SATA 4S-Maxtor 6V160EG
    3rd boot device -Disable

Booting
    Only the cursor blinking on screen

2)
    Turned off PC and reconneted the HD to another port. Turned on PC
    BIOS
    -> Boot
    (2 items there)
    Boot Device Prority
    1st Boot Device Removable Device
    2nd Boot Device USB: USB2.0
    3rd Boot Device Disable

Hard Disk Device
    1st Drive USB: USB 2.0
    2nd Drive SATA-3M-Maxtor 6V160EG

This time USB stick booted without problem.

Trusted Penguin
    In case 2, you have

Code:
    Hard Disk Device
    what is there for hard disk devices for case 1?

it definitely seems like a BIOS issue. have you checked the PC manufacturer's website for a possible BIOS update?

Linux Guru
    In case 2, you have

Code:
    Hard Disk Device
    what is there for hard disk devices for case 1?
    No.

it definitely seems like a BIOS issue. have you checked the PC manufacturer's website for a possible BIOS update?
    Motherboard
    M4A78T-E
    ASUSTeK Computer INC.

This is NOT a new mobo, warrantee already expired.

Would it be the problem of the Maxtor hd?
    ATA Disk
    Maxtor 6V160E0
    vendor: Maxtor

It is an old hd with only 160G in size. I use it for testing only.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Motherboard
    M4A78T-E
    ASUSTeK Computer INC.

This is NOT a new mobo, warrantee already expired.
    There are definitely BIOS updates available on the ASUS website, though I do not see your issue in the list of summaries. Still, it may be worth your while to update it, if it is old. To see the BIOS updates available, go here:

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M4A78T-E

Then under OS, you can select anything, and there will be a BIOS (24) section underneath that. Expand that to view what is available for download. The most recent BIOS update is dated 2012.01.31.

Note: update the BIOS at your own risk/peril!

Would it be the problem of the Maxtor hd?
    ATA Disk
    Maxtor 6V160E0
    vendor: Maxtor
    I would think that would be much less likely, but hey, you never know. However, a quick purview of the Maxtor (Seagate) support website did not turn up any firmware downloads for that model:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads

but you may have more luck.

Linux Guru
    Hi atreyu,

Thanks for your advice and links.

I'll try update BIOS first after sorting out the problem "HOW TO GO BACK" if encountering difficulty during updating.

Previously I did many times update BIOS. I had a ROM burner which is now broken also with spare ROM chips available. In case of problem in updating BIOS direct on PC. I can burn a ROM with new BIOS. Now if something going wrong the motherboard won't work. I have to bring it to ASUS agent here for repair. The cost won't be cheap better to buy a new motherboard of low cost.

I don't have worry updating the firmware on HD. It is an old HD. In the worst case I just dump it.