Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drimades
I'm trying to build a small kernel image with the minimal requirements based on the hardware I have in my laptop. Any idea about how to deal with that? How ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel configuration based on current hardware

I'm trying to build a small kernel image with the minimal requirements based on the hardware I have in my laptop. Any idea about how to deal with that? How can I get info about my hardware and somehow translate it in kernel configuration settings?

P.S. I've used lspci -k to have a list of the PCI device drivers in use. I used it to configure the kernel, but it helps only for the PCI devices. Is there any similar command for the other devices?
    EliasKesh likes this.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you install the kernel sources, you have to either execute "make menuconfig", or "make xconfig". The first option uses a text-based (curses) interface to configure the kernel. The other uses an X-windows interface (GUI). I prefer the latter myself since it provides better options for searching for stuff. Then, you need to go through all the options and configure the kernel with only the devices/options you REALLY need. If you ever installed a Gentoo system, this is how they do it. Most Linux systems these days are kind of like Swiss Army knives - they support just about anything you might want, out-of-the-box without regard to resource utilization. I certainly use the configuration tool when I am building an embedded system with limited resources. For most laptops or workstations, I don't bother unless there is some specific hardware that I need to use that is not enabled by default.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by drimades View Post
    I'm trying to build a small kernel image with the minimal requirements based on the hardware I have in my laptop. Any idea about how to deal with that? How can I get info about my hardware and somehow translate it in kernel configuration settings?

P.S. I've used lspci -k to have a list of the PCI device drivers in use. I used it to configure the kernel, but it helps only for the PCI devices. Is there any similar command for the other devices?
    USB devices - lsusb.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for your answer! With lsusb I get:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 13d3:5130 IMC Networks
    to be sincere, it's a little bit tricky to get from that info to the configuration of the kernel.

You can try the --verbose option to lsusb to get more information as to the hardware that IMC Networks may entail, for example.