Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I'm doing a fresh new install of Ubuntu 10.04, dual-boot with Win7 on a single SATA drive and I need some assistance. I'm also upgrading all hardware and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu new dual boot install with Win7

Hello I'm doing a fresh new install of Ubuntu 10.04, dual-boot with Win7 on a single SATA drive and I need some assistance. I'm also upgrading all hardware and I 'm wondering can I (a) take some or all of my old settings from the previous install on an IDE disk and (b) can I somehow carry over extra software from my old install? Is it better to install Windows first? Any information on GUI appliances to help set up new mount positions for Win7,setting up screen resolutions etc..I don't have the time for changing data documents etc.All help greatly appreciated

First,let me say that installing Windows first if the best step. The Windows installer likes to use the whole hard drive and tends to overwrite other boot-loaders. After installing Windows, boot into a Live session of Ubuntu and prepare your Linux partitions from there.
    Any data documents that you want to save can be copied to a USB stick or other portable drive and moved onto your fresh install.
    As far as moving software, I would advise simply re-installing it. That way, you avoid any possible dependency issues that might arise.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by stoppage View Post
    Hello I'm doing a fresh new install of Ubuntu 10.04, dual-boot with Win7 on a single SATA drive and I need some assistance. I'm also upgrading all hardware and I 'm wondering can I (a) take some or all of my old settings from the previous install on an IDE disk and (b) can I somehow carry over extra software from my old install? Is it better to install Windows first? Any information on GUI appliances to help set up new mount positions for Win7,setting up screen resolutions etc..I don't have the time for changing data documents etc.All help greatly appreciated
    Install Windows first. You can copy your home folder information which will give user settings. It's up to you whether you want to copy your original Ubuntu install and modify it for new hardware (such as grahics and wireless driver) or do a fresh install and then install the software packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Install Windows first. You can copy your home folder information which will give user settings. It's up to you whether you want to copy your original Ubuntu install and modify it for new hardware (such as grahics and wireless driver) or do a fresh install and then install the software packages.
    On a fresh installation process is there an option for "alternative" /home folder? I'm also looking for some sort of guide to dual-boot install i.e. which file sytems, preparing disk etc. I've also considered using Clonezilla to clone entire Ubuntu installation but I don't know if this would work with cloning to an entire different disk and completely new hardware

Linux Guru
    My last Ubuntu installation was 11.10 so I'm not sure if any changes were made since then to the installation process. You should see an Installation Type screen near the beginning of the process and select "Something Else" which will give you some control. As indicated above, it will simplify everything if you install windows first. After selecting the something else option, you should get an Allocate Drive Space window. In the main part of the window, you should see your drives/partitions and unallocated or free space. If you have partitions you want to use, select one by clicking it to highlight it and then click on the Change tab at the center of the window. Here you can set the size of the partition, filesystem type (ext4 is default for Ubuntu), mount point (/ is the symbol for root filesystem). You need to click the Add tab instead of Change if you are using free or unallocated space. You can also select a partition or unallocated space for the /home partition here. At the bottom of the window, you should see device for bootloader installation which will show the default of sda. If you have only one drive and want the Ubuntu Grub bootloader, leave that.