Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I was trying to dual boot my PC Windows 7 x64 and CentOS i386 but I'm encountering something like this. IMG_1283.jpg Please advice. Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues on dual booting Windows 7 x64 and CentOS i386

Hi, I was trying to dual boot my PC Windows 7 x64 and CentOS i386 but I'm encountering something like this.

IMG_1283.jpg

Please advice. Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    What is that?

hard to see from the image, but it looks a bit like the output from a video card which doesnt have the correct drivers.
    Try booting into windows safe mode. This will run the system without any (potentially) conflicting drivers, etc. From there, you can see if the problem still happens.
    If it does not, then go to the driver download page for your card, get and install the latest recommended driver. Problem should go away!
    If the prob still occurs in all types of windows, try reinstalling windows (there may be a severe coprruption).
    If the problem happens in windows only, and not in linux... then this may be a great opportunity to switch over entirely to linux!
    There's even a native steam client now, with Team Fortress 2 !!!!!!!!! (ok, it's only in beta, and it is currently only for Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10).

And if the problem still happens no m,atter what installation you use, try the linux live disc (thus avoiding hard drive issues). Still happening? Time for a new graphics card.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    hard to see from the image, but it looks a bit like the output from a video card which doesnt have the correct drivers.
    Try booting into windows safe mode. This will run the system without any (potentially) conflicting drivers, etc. From there, you can see if the problem still happens.
    If it does not, then go to the driver download page for your card, get and install the latest recommended driver. Problem should go away!
    If the prob still occurs in all types of windows, try reinstalling windows (there may be a severe coprruption).
    If the problem happens in windows only, and not in linux... then this may be a great opportunity to switch over entirely to linux!
    There's even a native steam client now, with Team Fortress 2 !!!!!!!!! (ok, it's only in beta, and it is currently only for Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10).

And if the problem still happens no m,atter what installation you use, try the linux live disc (thus avoiding hard drive issues). Still happening? Time for a new graphics card.
    Thanks for the response. I'm not really sure if I understand what you said. Are you trying to say that I should boot CentOS in Windows Safe Mode?

Here are the steps I've done before I encountered this issue

First I tried to install CentOS

IMG_8510.jpg

After I clicked the install option it started loading some stuffs

IMG_8517.jpg IMG_8518.jpg

After loading some stuffs it came out like this and stays like this

IMG_8519.jpg

It looks like Graphics Card problem. Which Graphics Card do you have?
    Have you tried Text Mode installation?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    It looks like Graphics Card problem. Which Graphics Card do you have?
    Have you tried Text Mode installation?
    I tried to update my video card (nvidia GTX 550 ti) but I stiil encounter this issue. If I use Text Mode installation wouldn't I be able to make partitions? Isn't that going to overwrite my Windows 7?

Where do you want to install CentOS, inside Windows OS or in a separate Partition?

If you are planning to install CentOS in a separate partition then I would suggest you to create partition for CentOS before starting installation. You can use PartedMagic LiveCD or USB to manage partitions. For a Desktop user, 15-20GB root partition is more than enough. If you have 1GB+ RAM, there is no need to create SWAP partition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Where do you want to install CentOS, inside Windows OS or in a separate Partition?

If you are planning to install CentOS in a separate partition then I would suggest you to create partition for CentOS before starting installation. You can use PartedMagic LiveCD or USB to manage partitions. For a Desktop user, 15-20GB root partition is more than enough. If you have 1GB+ RAM, there is no need to create SWAP partition.

I've have installed CentOS on my laptop now. Thanks a lot.

Linux Newbie
    csbind

It would be really good of you if you could find the time to let us know how you arrived at the solution.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    csbind

It would be really good of you if you could find the time to let us know how you arrived at the solution.
    I just followed devils caspers advice. I used partition magic to create a seperate partition for CentOS and I tried to install it via Text Mode Installation and it worked