Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Currently I am running Ubuntu 12.04. I want to try other Linux Distributions without fully installing them on my computer, so that's where I found out about VB . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VirtualBox Problem

Hello

Currently I am running Ubuntu 12.04. I want to try other Linux Distributions without fully installing them on my computer, so that's where I found out about VB. I have it installed on my computer, and I chose another Linux Operating system to play around with. Fedora 17. I went to the website, downloaded the 64bit Gnome Fedora 17 iso. The iso looks good. The download was clean.

When I opened up VB, and created a new Virtual Machine, I went through all the steps, created the operating system name, and chose the correct things for that, I gave it 1 GB of RAM. (More than the recommended). I created a Virtual Hard Drive, with the default storage. That's about all they ask for.

Then I started the Virtual Machine. They ask me for the iso I need to run the machine, and of course, I go in my downloads and choose the Fedora 17 iso file. I start the machine, and Fedora starts with it's beginning, you know where it counts down from 10, and says "Press Tab for more boot options"

I leave it alone, and it starts, but this Virtual Machine just stays black. I have no idea what I might have done wrong. Any help will be great. I really wanna get more into Linux, and try different operating systems, and need a bit of help.

Thanks for at least reading this far.

Just Joined!
    It sounds like you might have something wrong under "drives". Check the master and secondary drives and make sure you have the right option, ie not a virtual drive...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by metropoli10 View Post
    It sounds like you might have something wrong under "drives". Check the master and secondary drives and make sure you have the right option, ie not a virtual drive...
    I have tried them all. From Primary to the Slate drives to the Master drive. None of them are working.

Just Joined!
    This is why Linux annoys me. Nothing is simple with Linux, they always need to overcomplecate things to the point where I can't get anything to work. I've tried like 5 distros to work with VM, and none of them work.
    I did it on my Mac, and the first try I got it working.

And there is like 10,000 Linux groups, so getting an answer or support is never easy.

I'm still going to try, maybe some tutorial on Youtube will work.

Linux Engineer
    If you're trying to run a 64 bit guest, then you need to make sure that your processor supports virtualization technology. This has to be enabled in the BIOS, but isn't enabled by default.

Just Joined!
    New Problem!!!
    Now when I try to use VM, I get this message.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    If you're trying to run a 64 bit guest, then you need to make sure that your processor supports virtualization technology. This has to be enabled in the BIOS, but isn't enabled by default.
    I'm running this on a 32 Bit.

Linux Guru
    From your first post:
    I went to the website, downloaded the 64bit Gnome Fedora 17 iso
    From your last post:
    I'm running this on a 32 Bit.
    Clarify, did you now download a 32 bit Fedora iso and try to boot it in VBox? Are you using 32bit hardware? Did you read the VBox manual? What happened when you installed the DKMS package and ran the command suggested in the error window?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    From your first post:

From your last post:

Clarify, did you now download a 32 bit Fedora iso and try to boot it in VBox? Are you using 32bit hardware? Did you read the VBox manual? What happened when you installed the DKMS package and ran the command suggested in the error window?
    I'm sure I downloaded the 32bit. I meant when I downloaded VBox, I chose the AMD64 download. That's what I meant.