Find the answer to your Linux question:
Forgive me if this has been asked... and I assume it has: I've searched quite a few different strings and can't find any information on restoring an image to a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install image to new pc?

Forgive me if this has been asked... and I assume it has: I've searched quite a few different strings and can't find any information on restoring an image to a new computer... Can you advise or point me in the right direction on this?

I continually create a backup image in learning to function with Linux daily but I've completely removed Windows after having dual-booted Linux for years and using it a couple times a month. I continued to use it more over the last few months and eventually started from scratch with a formatted drive, and no trace of MS on it. I am willing to try to configure, truly learn the OS, etc so it's expected that I will mess with the system's guts to learn it and ultimately mess it up terribly, ultimately leading to me relying on a backup image quite heavily...

With Windows, I'd occasionally restore an image to a new computer I'd buy and just re-install Windows again in the same directory after the image was restored, let it give driver errors, update, remove old entries, clean up files, registry settings, etc. Everyone always said you had to format and start over if you changed the motherboard but this method worked for me each time. It was labor intensive and most wouldn't want to do it but most want to use Linux for a new feel; I am using it to learn it like I learned Windows on a level most users wouldn't care to and like it better... I would like to make this configuration I have on my laptop on a desktop, without all the re-googling, re-trying, re-imaging, you get the point... I like the system I've designed over the last couple weeks and it's something I'd be happy with if my laptop crashed; I'd at least have it on my desktop and could function similarly.

Is something similar to what I described with Windows possible with Linux? Eventually, I will have an image of a system I like and is to the detail perfect. I will want that image on my desktop while I continue to experiment with my laptop. I will be backing up from a 6 core Intel laptop to a 6 core AMD, going from 4 gb of memory to 32 gb, and of course, a new motherboard. Can this be done in Linux?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

I create linux systems images routinely and have used fsarchiver, clonezilla, and trueimage to create them over the years. In all cases, I've been able to restore those images to new drives, and or totally new systems. Generally speaking, they work on first reboot with no additional tweaking required. In some cases, you might need to do a bit of tweaking, or a kernel rebuild to use new motherboard features. If you are going from 32-bit linux to 64-bit linux because of the additional RAM that you are adding, you should do a fresh install and create a new system image.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I am currently using CloneZilla and was just curious because I've gotten Windows to do what others said couldn't be done, in terms of loading an image onto a completely different computer. I run 64 bit on both and have just started using Linux full-time over the last couple months, dissecting it, destroying it, learning from it, and restoring from an image. I understand the kernel rebuild but have no clue where to even start with that... Any advice in terms of docs or links to beginning to understand? Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by metropoli10 View Post
    I understand the kernel rebuild but have no clue where to even start with that... Any advice in terms of docs or links to beginning to understand? Thanks!
    You can check the following link for some instructions on building kernels:

Digital Hermit - Kernel-Build-HOWTO

The main thing is to know your hardware, especially things such as hard drives, sound cards, graphics cards, and the chipsets used, before starting on a kernel build. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a kernel that won't boot, or missing a lot of options, while having many other unneeded options enabled.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm just starting with Linux full time and editing scripts, etc... getting to know it. This is a little over-whelming. Earlier, you said "Generally speaking, they work on first reboot with no additional tweaking required. In some cases, you might need to do a bit of tweaking, or a kernel rebuild to use new motherboard features." I sure hope this is the case when I do it!

It raises a question though... If you put the image on a new machine and it does just boot up (without recompiling the kernel), does it update the kernel with the new hardware information itself? If not, how can it be optimized for the new system without doing a rebuild?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by metropoli10 View Post
    If you put the image on a new machine and it does just boot up (without recompiling the kernel), does it update the kernel with the new hardware information itself? If not, how can it be optimized for the new system without doing a rebuild?
    If you are using the pre-compiled default kernel such as those that come with most distros, it will likely work with most hardware, so when you transfer the image to another machine, there's a good chance that all hardware will be detected. If you are using a customized kernel that has been tweaked for your specific hardware, and it excludes support for all other hardware, you'll have to rebuild it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Oz. Not ready to tackle it yet but appreciate the insight.