Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, This is my first attempt at Linux, so bare with me. I tried installing Ferora Core 1, but the software hung at "running /sbin/loader". so I gave up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hanging @ "Finding module dependencies"

Hi guys,

This is my first attempt at Linux, so bare with me.

I tried installing Ferora Core 1, but the software hung at "running /sbin/loader". so I gave up and tried Red Hat 9. I selected the server option and then selected all applications. On reboot, it is now hanging at "Finding module dependencies".

What should I do? I have tried rebooting loads of times and am beginning to dispair. I can't bring myself to reinstall all over again,

Your help will be gratefully received,

Thanks,

James

p.s. my computer hardware is:
    Asus A7N266 - 160Gig Maxtor Diamond 9 - Duron 1100 and black case with penguin on front!

what kind of media did you install rh9 from? i'm assuming you used a CD?
    cos if you did, then did you download and burn an iso image yourself, or did you buy a pre-packaged disc?

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for the fast responce.

I downloaded and burnt it to cd. Three CD's in totals.

Does this effect things?

James

did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso? also, were there any scratches or marks on the disc? Was there anything unusual or worth mentioning that occurred during the installation?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    The disks were md5 check sum verified and in perfect condition. Everything seemed to work really well. However, this is my first installation of linux and I wouldn't be able to tell something amiss.

What do module dependencies mean? Is it missing something or is the installation setup wrong?

Linux Engineer
    Module dependancies, stand for exactly what it says, I meen aby that, that usualy a particular module, lib, class didnt get installed properly... did you try a full install?

As you said, "simply to make sure" the installation was successfull and this ocurs after the reboot... right?

Also, this might get you a little pissed, but did you also try a "light" install? simply the required module to get you started and then add manually nedded module later on?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    I must admit that I definitively didn't install a light version. I ordered everything on the menu...

Am I right in thinging this isn't a hardware / compatability fault but more of an installation glitch?

Is there anything that I can do to recitify this without reinstallation?

James

p.s. What is the weather like in Montreal? Lots of snow? I used to live in Waterloo, just south of Toronto and loved it.

well i don't know why you are so adamant about not reinstalling. you can't even boot up so it's not like it'll take forever to migrate files and settings, etc.
    i think a reinstall is in order

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I may seem reluctant to reinstall - but it took 50 minutes last time and this being my first time I thought I might be missing something really dumb .

Anyhow, I have just made a start. Thanks for your advice - I might be back in another 50mins,

James

Linux Engineer
    Simply take a "light" install... this way you'll see if you can at lest get a running state... then from there you can start playing around... anyway thats the way I always try new things... get a running state then mess everything

Dont hesitate to hit us again for more infos
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps