Find the answer to your Linux question:
After failing to use VBox, I gave VMWare a shot. So, I went to download this for my Ubuntu computer. Again, when I tried getting it, it's a fail. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VMWare Problem

After failing to use VBox, I gave VMWare a shot. So, I went to download this for my Ubuntu computer. Again, when I tried getting it, it's a fail.

I got it off their website:
    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...are_player/4_0

I downloaded the 64bit version, because my Ubuntu is running that version. Upon downloading that, when it finished I try to open the file, and turns out its a text file, and when it's open, it crashes.

I don't know what to do. I'm about ready to give up on this, and when I wanna use different operating systems, I'll just go to Mac.

Did you set excecutable permission before running it?
    sudo chmod a+x VMware-Player-xxxx-xxxx.bundle

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What problems did you have with VBox? I have been using it for 6 years on a variety of systems (both Linux and Windows) without problems. I use it on my Linux workstation at home (Scientific Linux 6) and my laptop at work (Windows 7). I have also used it on CentOS 5, Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04, 10.04, etc. Never a problem, though you need to have the kernel development and header packages installed, as well as DKMS.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've had issues in the past with VMware on a *nix host. After a lot of trouble shooting I gave up on it. I've also been told / read on some forums that the version of VB in the Ubuntu repos has a lot of known issues.

I used this method to install VB on Ubuntu 12.04 directly from Orcale's repo and have been running it for over a week without a single issue.

You'll need to use this command:

Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers <YOUR USER NAME>
    (Just your user name without the <>).

So that you can use USB devices on the VMs.

And you'll need to install the VB guest additions too.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 12-07-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Forgot 1 thing