Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive had ubuntu on a spare pc for a while and enjoy using it enough that i want to dual boot it on my main. I started looking into that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting next to w7

Ive had ubuntu on a spare pc for a while and enjoy using it enough that i want to dual boot it on my main. I started looking into that today but i noticed something. The laptop in question is running w7, it has 2 drives listed c(os), and D(data). Ive never installed much on this pc, so ive never had a reason to look at the space left on my drives. I looked today to decide how much to partition for ubuntu and discovered something that dosent make sense to me. Ive always assumed d was recovery. It has been on most of my pc's but i dont think it is. My C drive is 119gb with a decent amount used. D on the other hand is 325gb with 305mb used. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks and advance.

Hi and welcome.

This is not exactly a linux question.
    But fwiw: Most setups use a hidden partition for the recovery tool and image.
    So it makes sense, that your regular partition with the driveletter D: is empty.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    From what i see above is that the C: drive is where the w7 OS is sitting on and the D: drive is a partition where you can save your file so that if the W7 OS is corrupted or fails, you can format it(C drive and install another OS without affecting your files.
    So i will therefore advice you to transfer all you Document in the C: drive to the D: drive and then partition the C: drive to install ubuntu on it, since when you are in ubuntu you can see and access all the other drives on windows and you can also save files you have created on ubuntu in the D: and even in the drive where the windows OS is sitting on. Therefore you can get access to your files regardless of which OS you login to whether windows or ubuntu

Hi and Welcome !

As Detective12 suggested, Second partition of your Hard disk is for storing data only and its not system partition. If you want to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows OS in this system, you have to shrink D partition and create space for Ubuntu. Do not resize/delete C: Drive.

Do you have Ubuntu LiveCD or USB? Boot up your main machine from Ubuntu LiveCD/USB, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x8627c646

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 64 45056063 22528000 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/sda2 * 45056064 296078202 125511069+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 296078203 976773167 340347482+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 296080251 976773167 340346458+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

here ya go and thanks, i know its not a specific linux question, but i needed to know it for the install, im trying to prepare as much as I can before hand to lessen the chance of messing up w7. I dont have an os disk for it.

Linux Guru
    sda3 is an Extended partition with sda5 as a logical partition within it. sda5 is the partition you will need to shrink and then create another partition in the unallocated space you have after shrinking sda5. You should have GParted if you are using an Ubuntu Live/Install CD. You should be able to access GParted by opening a terminal. If you have a recent release of Ubuntu, hold down the Ctrl+Alt and t keys simultaneouls and a terminal will open. Again, if you have a recent release, you should be able to find a terminal by clicking on the little Ubuntu icon in the extreme upper left of the Desktop. When you get a terminal open, type: sudo gparted. That should open gparted. Take a look at the menu bar at the top to familiarize yourself with it if you have not used it before.