Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys. I'm researching about all I need to know to migrate to Linux soon, and one of the things I've had trouble with is partitioning and the directory structure. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about partitioning for instalation

Hello guys.

I'm researching about all I need to know to migrate to Linux soon, and one of the things I've had trouble with is partitioning and the directory structure.

First of all, I don't understand very well the difference between primary and logical partitions; I thought I had the idea, but then I found you can make /home primary and logical and confusion arose again, I didn't know which to choose.

Second, I'm very confused about the way I should partition the drive to get Linux installed. As I understand, there are multiple benefits from installing Linux in this fashion (partitioning the drive), but you could do it just putting / in one partition, am I right? If not, could anyone give me some help and advise.

As always, thank you for your time.

Linux Guru
    The historical convention is that four primary partitions are allowed, maximum. One of these primary partitions can be used as an Extended partition. Within the Extended partition, you can then create a number of logical partitions. You can create dozens of logical partitions, it all depends upon the size of your drive.

I found you can make /home primary and logical
    No. You can't make it both, but you can make it either. If you have multiple operating systems, you can have a separate /home partition for one OS as primary, a separate /home partition for another OS as logical.

The drives need to be partitioned to install the OS. Windows does this also, usually just one partition for the whole drive although newer systems use several partitions.
    For simplicities sake as someone new, the easiest thing would be to just create one partition, the root partition with all system files symbolized by the forward slash (/).
    This is analogous to C:\ in windows.
    You might google Linux partitioning and naming conventions for more info.l

Just Joined!
    If you are going to install Linux back up EVERYTHING you want to keep.

Then if you want windows it must be installed first.

For Linux I suggest having three patitiions. (Windows will require a partition I believe)

One for swap (which is at least double the size of your ram.)

Another patition for the operating system and the rest of the hdd in another partition for your use.

These partitions can be created using parted.