Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, First off, Happy New Year. Just recently bought a Gateway/Acer 16GB laptop that comes pre-installed with Windows8 and 500GB drive. I also bought a 1TB external drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Advise on various Linux Install

Hi all,

First off, Happy New Year.

Just recently bought a Gateway/Acer 16GB laptop that comes pre-installed with Windows8 and 500GB drive. I also bought a 1TB external drive.

I need to install several Linux Distros on it, Ubuntu, CentOS, Oracle Linux, Fedora, SuSE, that's just for starter. This is because I have several customers that uses different distros and I need to install Oracle on them. Besides the Linux distros, I also need Oracle on Windows running -

Can anyone please advise if this is achievable? I've read several blogs of issues installing Windows8 and Linux'es. I am looking at re-partitioning the Windows 8 HD and create another partition there for the Linux Distros but a bit anxious whether that will break Windows 8.

Performance is not an issue at the moment. Will using the 1TB external hard drive be a better option? Can I create boot partitions for each distros on the external drive and then boot off the external drive? Does the boot partition need to be ext or they have to be FAT32?

I want to be able to explore this option first before going to using a VirtualBox on Windows8 as the last option.

Any advise/feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    Can anyone please advise if this is achievable?
    Maybe. It involves what microsoft refers to as 'Secure Boot'. If you have an option in the BIOS to disable it, you should do that before trying to install Linux. The link below gives some information on Secure Boot and Linux but it appears to be specific to HP. It does give some good general background info on Secure Boot:

More fun with Windows 8 UEFI, Secure Boot, Fedora and Ubuntu | ZDNet

If you don't see the option in your BIOS, you might try searching on the web for 'windows 8 disable secure boot and linux' and possibly include Gateway in it or contacting Gateway directly. My understanding is that you will not be able to install another OS if you do not have an option to disable Secure Boot, or if you have the option but don't use it. It doesn't matter if you are using an internal or external drive.

There really isn't much point in using a separate /boot partition for each distro. Why would you want to do that? You could create one separate /boot partition for all distros. The boot and system partitions will all need a Linux filesystem type and the current default on most is ext4.

Fat32 is usually used on flash drives and you can install Linux on them. Has limitations though.

Here's another link with more info: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/12/3...e-boot-issues/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If this is an x86 processor, you should be able to disable the "secure boot" in the BIOS. If it is an ARM system, then you are SOL without serious hacking. My advice? Return it for a refund and NEVER purchase a system that forces you to use UEFI/Secure Boot without the option to install non-UEFI operating systems (such as Linux), especially if you want to run anything but the operating system that comes with the computer...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I have a windows 8 dual boot with Ubuntu Linux and it works fine. Their on the same partition.

But It is Windows 8 Release Preview, not the Newest one you have to pay for...

So I'm not sure if that will affect (is it affect or effect) the results.

And I'm not sure wheather I had already partitioned the drive for windows when I installed it or if I resized the partition after.

Well, either way, There's a good chance it should all work.

Oh, and what did you mean excactly by installing oracle on them all?

Did you mean Oracle Java?

Because I've installed that on both windows and linux (from source even) and its worked fine.

And depending on what you want, you could use the 1Tb HDD for all the /home directories.

Therefore, all your personal data is on one, and then all the programs and OS's are on the other.

This makes reinstalling OS's easier.
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-26-2013 at 08:52 PM.