Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, The other night I deleted all my Ubuntu Partitons because I wanted to replace it with Fedora. Which means that I've also made the mistake of deleting Grub, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Deleted Ubuntu, Trying to Install Fedora, Can't access Windows,

Hi,

The other night I deleted all my Ubuntu Partitons because I wanted to replace it with Fedora. Which means that I've also made the mistake of deleting Grub, so now I cannot even access my Windows Partition. Now I'm trying to install Fedora to the free space I have from where I deleted all my Ubuntu Partitions, but I keep getting this error: "Could not allocate requested Partitions: not enough free space on disks."

That is using the "Use Free Space" option during install. When I try using the "Create Custom Layout" option When I get to the partiton table page it says I have 25598 MB of free space.

Here is what my partiton table looks like:

Hard Drives
    sda (/dev/sda)
    sda1 100 ntfs
    sda2 102399 ntfs
    sda3 587305 Extended
    sda5 109050 ntfs
    sda6 478255 ntfs
    Free 25598

Any help on how to be able to install Fedora 17 or repair my Windows Bootloader is greatly appreciated.

Currently, in order to type this, I'm using a 2GB USB Thumb Drive created with Linux Live USB Computer that I made with a friends PC that I'm booting as a Live USB.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

There's no need to delete partitions because the next linux installer will use those same partitions for the new system. It will format them, then lay the new system out on them. If all else fails, you can probably boot with the Parted Magic LiveCD to partition and format the free space, then tell the new linux installer to use your newly created partitions.

Microsoft has detailed instructions on their website for restoring their boot loader. Search it for "restore your_win_version boot loader" to find the link. Once you have a working system again, it will be easier to go figure out which direction you want to take.
    oz

Just Joined!
    @ oz:

Thanks for the info, but unfortunantly I had already deleted the partitions the other night when I had wiped out Ubuntu. Will I be able to restore the Windows 7 Bootloader from this live USB I'm currently using? Or will I be able to repair it from a USB Drive b/c my PC doesn't have a CD drive. I need to either install Grub from the Fedora Live CD or reinstall the Windows Bootloader from a USB Stick, because when I try booting normal, all I get is a grub error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoeIII View Post
    I need to either install Grub from the Fedora Live CD or reinstall the Windows Bootloader from a USB Stick, because when I try booting normal, all I get is a grub error.
    I've never tested it, but if you check the following link, you'll find instructions for building a USB flash drive recovery device for Win7:

How to Fix Windows 7 When It Fails to Boot

Drop down about half way down the page to the section titled:

How to create a Windows 7 System Recovery USB flash drive

Hope it works out for you!
    oz