Find the answer to your Linux question:
New built computer, no operating system on computer yet. Wondering about one thing. When asked about installation type, there are 2 opetions. One being 1. Erase disc and install Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu as Main Operating System

New built computer, no operating system on computer yet.

Wondering about one thing. When asked about installation type, there are 2 opetions. One being

Erase disc and install Ubuntu Studio.
    Warning: This will delete any files on the disc!

Something Else.
    Stuff about partitions.

I heard something about a user installing Ubuntu once with a 2TB Hard drive, and while installing, something happened, and the Whole 2TB was used for the Operating System, leaving nothing for files and stuff, so this is why I asked this question.
    Sense there is no operating system on this SSD (Which is a 64GB) I'm okay with deleting the files, but I DO NOT want the whole 64GB to be used for the Operating System.

Will choosing 1st choice make the whole 64GB be used, or do I need to partition this drive?

If choice 2.
    Give me some insight on this. Easy way.

Thanks for answering!

oz
    forum.guy
    The first option is more of an auto install mode if you want to use the entire disk for nothing but Ubuntu Studio. The second option gives you control over partitioning and formatting for the install. I personally prefer to never let the installer have full control.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    The first option is more of an auto install mode if you want to use the entire disk for nothing but Ubuntu Studio. The second option gives you control over partitioning and formatting for the install. I personally prefer to never let the installer have full control.
    So, the first option will not take over the while drive and it will only use what it needs?

oz
    forum.guy
    The first option will take over the entire disk, removing anything else that presided on it previously, then install Ubuntu Studio onto it. If it's a large hard drive (space-wise), allowing it to take the entire drive may be a big waste of space, depending on your own usage, needs, and habits.

My own preference is to always partition a drive to my own needs and wishes rather than hand it over to any Linux installer. Option two should give you more control.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    The first option will take over the entire disk, removing anything else that presided on it previously, then install Ubuntu Studio onto it. If it's a large hard drive (space-wise), allowing it to take the entire drive may be a big waste of space, depending on your own usage, needs, and habits.

My own preference is to always partition a drive to my own needs and wishes rather than hand it over to any Linux installer. Option two should give you more control.
    Alright. Thanks. I will partition it then.

An after question.
    Will some Linux Installers want to take over the whole drive? While some will only take up what they need?

Linux Guru
    I can't remember installing any Linux distribution which didn't give me at least two choices. If you had a system on the drive you are installing to you would probably also had an option to install alongside. Since there are no other operating systems, you only see the two choices. Ubuntu has the 'Something Elsle' option which previously was 'Manual' or 'Advanced' and still is on a lot of distributions. The size of the partition(s) you create depends upon what you are going to use the computer for and the disk space available.

Just to help clear it up a little bit...
    An installer taking to whole drive doesn't mean that you'll have no room for files or personal data. You will of course have your /home partition to save everything. And you'll always have the option of creating new directories as you see fit to hold these files.
    Taking the whole drive for the OS only means that you won't end up with any unallocated space on your drive.
    Hope that helps.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks all. I got this up and running with a bit of trouble, but fixed it all. Thanks for all your help.