Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install backtrack 5RC2 on VMWare Workstation 8, & i am unable to do it. This is not the first time I am doing this, it worked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Unable to install BackTrack

I am trying to install backtrack 5RC2 on VMWare Workstation 8, & i am unable to do it.
    This is not the first time I am doing this, it worked just fine before I purchased my graphic card.
    Previously also I used method given in this video youtu.be/ZAamAsvKiVU
    & it worked fine. But after installing my graphic card this is the first time I am installing Backtrack on VMWare.
    It installs just fine. But when it asks for restart I am stuck on this screen. It doesn't restarts after installation it is stuck at this screen, I don't know what to do.
    I am good at solving problems on Windows, hell even I worked as Microsoft Tech support agent for 3 months.
    I searched over the internet but I am not able to find any solution.
    & to be honest I don't even know how to install java in Backtrack. I tried but I failed.

[IMG] i49.tinypic.com/2dlqkrd.png[/IMG]

My computer configuration:

Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    500+80GB HDD
    ASUS NVIDIA GT610 2GB Graphic card

From what I understood uptil now is that it is some hardware problem most probably graphic card problem. So I tried to download driver for Linux for my graphic card but they do not exist.
    I don't know what to do guys, I have been trying to learn Linux & Ethical Hacking & I am stuck at the first step. Plz help me out.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to run the proprietary nVidia driver on the host system, NOT on the VMware virtual system. The VMware system will provide its own driver for the virtual machine that then talks to the real driver. You don't say what operating system you are running on the host. Is it Linux, or some version of Windows?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You need to run the proprietary nVidia driver on the host system, NOT on the VMware virtual system. The VMware system will provide its own driver for the virtual machine that then talks to the real driver. You don't say what operating system you are running on the host. Is it Linux, or some version of Windows?
    I am using Windows 7 as host OS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by myzoneajay View Post
    I am using Windows 7 as host OS
    Have you updated the driver for the new card?

Just Joined!
    Yes............................

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Have you updated the driver for the new card?

Unfortunately I cannot access this file to see what is the problem. Have you tried installing Oracle's VirtualBox instead of VMware to run BackTrack? I've have very good results with that over the past 6-7 years - much better IMO than VMware, for running virtual machines. I use it on Linux to run other Linux distributions, Windows, QNX, Solaris, DOS, et al, and on Windows 7 to run all of the above. Never a problem.